110v on between earth in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I had a new kitchen installed, I changed all the plastic MK sockets/switches to MK metal ones.

Apart from the fact, that they were slightly larger, and as the walls are already tiled, it's a pain trying to get them to fit together properly.

In one section, I've a fused spur, Double 13a Socket, and single light switch side by side. I was removing the light switch to make the connections, and noticed that when the face plate of the switch and socket touched, it caused a small spark. I put my basic steinel volt meter across face to face, and it registers 110v. After I took the faceplate off, I measured between earth cable, and socket faceplate, getting the same reading.

My fuse panel is a 2 section type 'Crabtree Starbreaker', with lights and cooker in one section, and the sockets covered by a seperate RCCB.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have lost the continuity on one of the earth circuits, quite possibly on the lighting circuit (if it was ever connected at all).Older properties tended not to have earthing on the lighting circuits, but if there has been any work done later then a cable with an earth core in it could have been ran in.
This needs investigating as soon as possible, especially as you are trying to fit metallic switches and could have metallic light fittings.
A competant electrican can sort this out for you if you do not feel you have the knowledge/means to do so as it requires more than a Steinel ;)

Thanks Ricicle.

I bought the house in April 2007, but the house was built in the mid 80's. Apparently the fuse board was changed to the current one in about '03.

It's a 3 storey house, but it seems that the power to the bottom 2 floors is shared, with the top floor being on seperate breakers. Would this be common?

The light switch in question, is actually powering a 4.5v transformer, which in turn is connected to some LED lights under the wall units. Would this make a difference? They ran 240v to strip lights previously.

The power in the switches are all twin and earth with the connections made. Do I understand, from your reply, that basically there is a break in the earth loop somewhere?

If so, and the same earth is in the socket next to it, why would it spark?

I put my basic steinel volt meter across face to face, and it registers 110v. After I took the faceplate off, I measured between earth cable, and socket faceplate, getting the same reading.
It's not 100% clear what you measured there.

Did you remove the switch faceplate, and measure between the socket faceplate and the switch earth?

If so, have you removed the socket faceplate? Have you checked that the earth is connected? Have you checked phase-to-earth voltage for the socket?

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

It's 2 face plates side by side.

Left side is a double socket, right is a light switch.

Putting the steinel probes between both face plates is 110v.

Probes between socket face, and switch earth is 110v. I haven't taken socket face off to check that earth yet. It seems that the earth is connected on all the lighting in the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back