12 DC Rim lock release Wiring???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

I have a 12 DC Rim lock release latch & Lock, that I wish to use for a internal small gate, I will not be using an entry system (Phone, speaker, etc) just a switch on the wall.

Please can you advise me what switch i'll need, and it's 12 DC so i'll obviusly need to use a transformer of some sort?????

And Anyone know where I can get these pieces of Kit,

Many Thanks

Kaiser76

Sponsored Links
DC, so you will need to rectify the transformed voltage too.

A small regulated power supply will be best, how many mA does the lock require?

it says it can run on AC or DC;

Night Latch Lock - BRAND NEW

Item Details
This Standard Lock Release for Door Entry Intercom and access control systems - it can however be used as a stand alone lock release by using a suitable power supply and switch and should be fitted to the keep side of a traditional Yale type door lock (known as a night latch) - Specifications are:-

12 Volt Ac or DC
Fail Locked
Metal Construction

Unfortunately thats all the information I have

I assume its this one then http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Standard-Yale...ry-System_W0QQitemZ360033808227QQcmdZViewItem

in which case it only has a tiny solenoid inside.

I would be tempted to get a regulated DC supply simply to keep things nice and tidy. If you are a dab hand at making stuff though you could get a 12V transformer and put it into a box yourself.

250mA is probably enough current so I would factor in a bit more for rubustness and plump for this 400mA regulated supply http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=19160&criteria=dc adapter&doy=23m3

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
HA HA HA

Thanks for your help

Yeah thats the exact one, you must have magical skills LOL

What switch will I need to use to be able to open the latch?

Any non -latching
Normally open switch should do
Rated more than 12 volt and say about 1 amp or more contacts.

Similar to a bell button
or one that looks like a house lightswitch, but is springy and momentary action

Do you need a delay between getting from the switch to the gate
or
the gate to only open whilst the switch is held on

Depending on location it may need to be water proof or heavy duty
Mk masterseal is nice outside but has no delay

Kaiser I edited my other button post before your reply

I Looked at the lock

How will you get out
If no one else with you to press the button

I assume the button is to let people in, this type of latch is usually used on a door with a handle inside ( to let people out ) and nothing ( or a code entry keypad ) outside.

Even so you might want to put a timer in the circuit so that when you press the button the lock is energised for a few seconds allowing entry.

I agree with rocky in a 1A or better switch, I like to over engineer things so that they don't break ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back