gate access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to install magnetic lock on a garden gate.
Sounded quite simple, but then you can start to over think it.

The gate will have a lock which can be released from a switch in the house, and by a key pad on the street side of the gate.

As you are outside I presume an emergency break glass is not needed, as many gates are locked.

But if you give some one access, to come in through the gate, provision should be there for them to be able to release the gate, so they can get out?

Ive looked to see the regulations for garden gate access (This is just a domestic property) but can seem to find any guide lines.

So basically what switching would be advisable to have in place

So you will have...
The keypad for access from the street
The house switch to open the gate for visitors
A local switch so someone in the garden can get out?
(Emergency switch?)

As I say this is a garden gate, and not a fire escape as such

Hope that make sense

Sponsored Links
A lot of the regulations are for powered gates - there have been some rather unfortunate deaths and injuries from those. As you say, many gates are locked, so I don't see why adding a magnetic lock really needs much thought - but I'm not an expert on that. The main safety issues I'd be looking at would be :
  • Is there a risk of getting trapped close to a burning building ? Could be an issue for any size garden, but especially a small one.
  • What do you want to happen during a power cut ? Fail to unlocked meaning you can still access your own house, or fail locked so you could be locked out :eek:
Other than that, just a case of choosing your system and making sure it's done safely.
The external keypad needs to be one that sends keypresses to a remote controller for checking. I'm sure some at the "lower end" will do everything in the keypad which means all someone needs to do is rip the keypad off the wall and touch a couple of wires together to release the lock.
An internal release needs to be somewhere it can't be operated from outside.
Do you need an intercom, or just a "door"bell, or will you be relying on spotting visitors or them phoning you ?

The main safety issues I'd be looking at would be :
Is there a risk of getting trapped close to a burning building ? Could be an issue for any size garden, but especially a small one.
What do you want to happen during a power cut ? Fail to unlocked meaning you can still access your own house, or fail locked so you could be locked out :eek:
Having an electronic/magnetic lock doesn't preclude having a mechanical key-operated over-ride - that's how it's often done with hotel bedroom doors. If there is such a (mechanical) key-operated option, then the situation with a magnetic/electronic lock presumably has no different safety/convenience issues than does any key-locked gate.

Kind Regards, John

Question- why do you want an electromagnetic lock on the garden gate? Sounds like a complex solution to a non-existent problem (unless you're going to link the lock release to some kind of remote control device so you can let Amazon dump parcels in the garden when you're not in). If said gate is the only way to get out of the garden then yes some means of escape will be required (I'm not going to get into arguments about what rights burglars have- it all sucks and there you go).
Easiest method (assuming you really need this remote unlocking facility) might be to use a Yale-type lock on the gate with a strike plate (rather than magnetic lock) so to let yourself out of the garden you just turn the latch. Going to be very low-security though unless the gate is very high (or the lock is fairly low)......

Sponsored Links
Its a back gate. Client want a lock that can be operated from the house, or from a keypad.
I think some external (Between back door and gate) opening switch would be a good idea so you don't get locked out the house and locked in the garden by the gate.
I don't think an emergency release button is needed, (if any one knows this as fact, I would appreciate guidance)

where I work, we use smart cards that allow access to various rooms or areas. The idea is that random visitors can't stray into areas that we don't want them to.

Inside every room is a green mushroom switch near the door. Press this and the electromagnetic lock releases for a few seconds.
Because we are a building, there is also a "break glass exit" that presumably kills the lock power totally should a button fail.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fdit-Weath...=1530869770&sr=8-19&keywords=push+exit+button

consider whether you want a solenoid lock that either stays locked or unlocked when power is killed

Its a back gate. Client want a lock that can be operated from the house, or from a keypad.
So what strangers will they be letting into their garden through the gate, and from where?

How will these people let them know that they need admission?

When they leave, who watches them, and how, to make sure they do through the gate?

Who, and how, checks that they shut the gate properly behind them?

I think some external (Between back door and gate) opening switch would be a good idea so you don't get locked out the house
Keysafe with house key. KISS.

Hi, I've fitted a maglock on a back gate of a domestic property.

I used an ACT standalone keypad
https://doorentrydirect.com/act-stand-alone-keypads
Am I right in thinking that these are "self contained" so all the "smarts" are in the keypad unit ? If so then it means that bypassing the code is as simple as pulling it off the wall (or removing the cover if you are little less brutal) and you then have access to the power supply and maglock connections. I'm sure no-one would think of bypassing the code reader like that :whistle:

Though I suppose if it's only intended to be "an inconvenience" to people who shouldn't be in the garden, that's not really a big concern.

Am I right in thinking that these are "self contained" so all the "smarts" are in the keypad unit ? If so then it means that bypassing the code is as simple as pulling it off the wall (or removing the cover if you are little less brutal) and you then have access to the power supply and maglock connections. I'm sure no-one would think of bypassing the code reader like that :whistle:

Yes that particular product is self contained. Fit whatever suits the level of security your trying to achieve. I was just giving an example of a job I've done in the past, as someone was questioning the task altogether.

Yes that particular product is self contained. Fit whatever suits the level of security your trying to achieve. I was just giving an example of a job I've done in the past, as someone was questioning the task altogether.

Some have a tamper switch e.g. Act 10 keypad and also require a security bit to remove the cover
( snake eye bit ) so there is some level of protection on the standalone units

I still don't understand any of the issues alluded to here:
So what strangers will they be letting into their garden through the gate, and from where?

How will these people let them know that they need admission?

When they leave, who watches them, and how, to make sure they do through the gate?

Who, and how, checks that they shut the gate properly behind them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back