Mystery BFT gate switch - any ideas?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Currently refitting our kicthen and unsure if I need to keep this mystery switch. Tracking the network cable it definitely has something to do with our BFT gate but no idea what....

We have a physical switch to open and shut it together with gate fobs and then this switch. Gate came with house when we moved in so no manuals etc. Had a quick google and only thing I could think of was a channel switch for the fobs?

As you can see it has a dc power adapter crudely patched in and given we have never used it tempted to just cut it but also don’t want to brick the gate!

Any suggestions (within reason!) welcome!

Attachments

• 6710FD64-F9A3-49C3-8376-70C5C5F155DE.jpeg
    6710FD64-F9A3-49C3-8376-70C5C5F155DE.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 482
Sponsored Links
NOt for holding the gate open 24/7? Muting the intercom call?

NOt for holding the gate open 24/7? Muting the intercom call?

It doesn’t have an intercom (that I am aware of!) but could be something to do with enabling/disabling I suppose. Not sure why it needs its own power supply though?

rather than cut it, maybe turn it off for a few days to see if it affects the working.
My boss has buttons in his kitchen as well as fobs, his are so the cleaner can let people in

Is that 2 pushbuttons on it, a pic of the reverse wiring may indicate what the circuits doing.

Sponsored Links
B3877CC0-58F2-4FEA-A0FF-B59222E6C142.jpeg
7B4A60D4-ACBF-486E-9BCE-FA17FE9AB847.jpeg
rather than cut it, maybe turn it off for a few days to see if it affects the working.
My boss has buttons in his kitchen as well as fobs, his are so the cleaner can let people in

Is that 2 pushbuttons on it, a pic of the reverse wiring may indicate what the circuits doing.

It’s never been plugged in so definitely not using at the moment but don’t know if I may do in the future! Here’s some other clues

Are the two round things buttons or lights.
The larger round white thing looks like a mini buzzer
and a 1 way switch

It all looks a hell of a mess.

As unlikely as it may be, you don't want to do any fiddling which might create a safety problem. If you cannot find and get help from the maker, I advise getting a local gate installer to assist you. There are regulations regarding powered gates, and they are enforced.

Can you confirm
1) the twin flex from the psu is in parallel with the twin flex from the switch box
2) the only connexion to the multicore is to one of the taped joints

If that's the case it doesn't make any sense and I think there are other wires/joints not visible in the pic.
That looks like a switch isolating a buzzer in one position and 2 LED's in parallel in the other so my guess is this is simply an alarm/indicator of an open gate, the test is to plug it back in and watch it when the gate is opened.

How did you establish that it goes to the gate, maybe the other end will shed some light on it, As sunray says it does seem as its some indication of what the gates doing and looks home made.
Maybe just linked to some N/o or N/C contacts in the gate box

There are sometimes gate open indicators which light a light or buzzer when the gate is in the open position. This could be one, with a button to mute the buzzer. Often done when the gates are out of sight up a winding driveway etc.

Usually you can use a supply from the gate controller to light an led using the gate open output, but here it looks like it’s using a separate power supply, either via a volt free relay in the controller or an independent switch of some kind on the gate.

1EBA0E99-6BA2-46CC-8E26-03C6835812A9.jpeg
158E1959-1207-4189-ABF6-EC5BDCC48DD2.jpeg
Hey, I think you might be on to something with an alarm/indicator. I plugged back in and remembered why I had never kept it plugged in - all it does is flash at me and then buzz if I flick the switch, regardless of whether the gate is open or shut. Suspect either the wiring is dodgy one end or the other. PSU is the wire at the bottom of this pic so it looks like this also connects to the network cable that goes in the direction of the gate (same as manual switch). Maybe this was originally hooked up to an independent sensor that requires power but can’t see one now. Think I’ll probablh get rid..

View attachment 134174 View attachment 134173 Hey, I think you might be on to something with an alarm/indicator. I plugged back in and remembered why I had never kept it plugged in - all it does is flash at me and then buzz if I flick the switch, regardless of whether the gate is open or shut. Suspect either the wiring is dodgy one end or the other. PSU is the wire at the bottom of this pic so it looks like this also connects to the network cable that goes in the direction of the gate (same as manual switch). Maybe this was originally hooked up to an independent sensor that requires power but can’t see one now. Think I’ll probablh get rid..
That is a lovely photo showing the connexions very clearly and exactly as I thought it should have been, monitoring a N.O. contact of some description.
My guess now is the device on the other end of the grey cable has failed, possibly an 'end switch' of some description. It may only need adjusting or cleaning but if you are happy with it's absence then to misquote the film 'If thine device offend thee then pluck it out'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back