Remote FCU - Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an automatic gate which is wired to a switched FCU indoors on a spur from the downstairs ring. The gate has a manual open/shut button for postmen etc during the day, as well as the usual gate remotes on our key rings.

Ideally I would like to power down the gate at night so that it doesn't work and remains locked. The simplest and easiest way to do this is to switch off the FCU, but it is not particularly accessible behind furniture etc.

I was wondering if anyone has ever come across a remote controlled FCU or similar that I could replace the existing normal one with. You can get remote sockets and remote light switches, but I've never seen a remote FCU. I could in theory modify the whole thing and wire it via a 3-pin plug into a remote controlled socket, but it would look a bit Heath Robinson.

Any help gratefully received

Sponsored Links
An inline time clock might work?

Could be really annoying if you happen to come home after hours though!

Ideally I would like to power down the gate at night so that it doesn't work and remains locked.

Just as an aside, what is YOUR contingency in the event that you suffer a power cut and the gate won't open, particularly if the DNO or an electrician need to get inside to fix the problem?
Or even if you are outside and need to get in?

Just interested

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Just as an aside, what is YOUR contingency in the event that you suffer a power cut and the gate won't open, particularly if the DNO or an electrician need to get inside to fix the problem?
Or even if you are outside and need to get in?

Just interested

I'd use the key to unlock the lock and lift the motor off the ground to swing the gate open. It's not Fort Knox this thing - it's a 5 bar gate so you could just climb it. But it's a nice little extra pain for anyone trying to get anything out of the outbuildings.

How about just disabling the button when you need to ?

A simple remote relay wired in series with the button would work.

This is a good idea thanks. The only downside is not knowing the status of the gate from inside (i.e. when you press 'off' how do you know the command was received). You don't want to walk outside to check!

I'd use the key to unlock the lock and lift the motor off the ground to swing the gate open. It's not Fort Knox this thing - it's a 5 bar gate so you could just climb it.

Ah thanks, some are - Fort Knox that is!!

I often see on fault logs "Lost supply, can't open gates to get in/out""

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back