Adding Sockets to FCU

I just realised that the spur comes from a double socket in the hallway of the house (on the other side of the garage wall). It was covered by coats so I've never noticed it (or used it).

I could rewire the spur to make it part of the ring main instead, and then spur off that for my extra garage sockets. Or even make the whole of the garage run part of the ring main.

Any point in that or should I just stick with the plan and make a fused spur?

Note that I had my CU changed a few weeks ago, so the ring main and everything else has been tested by my electrician.

Sponsored Links
I just realised that the spur comes from a double socket in the hallway of the house (on the other side of the garage wall). It was covered by coats so I've never noticed it (or used it). I could rewire the spur to make it part of the ring main instead, and then spur off that for my extra garage sockets. Or even make the whole of the garage run part of the ring main. Any point in that or should I just stick with the plan and make a fused spur?
I'm not really sure I can see any significant advantage of that (and it would presumably involve more work), so I'd be inclined to stick with 'Plan A' - but others may disagree!

Kind Regards, John.

All working now. I didn't need a new FCU in the end, it was a dud 5A fuse in the old one so I replaced it with a 13A.

Of course, the 10m of 2.5 mm cable I bought ended up being about 20cm short of run that I need to get to the garage door opener :cry:

All working now. I didn't need a new FCU in the end, it was a dud 5A fuse in the old one so I replaced it with a 13A.
I told you to check the fuse :) Glad it's sorted.

Of course, the 10m of 2.5 mm cable I bought ended up being about 20cm short of run that I need to get to the garage door opener :cry:
As you say, of course - what else do you expect (next time, 'measure twice, cut once'!!) :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, one more thing. Am I OK to have branches in my garage wiring or must I keep the sockets linear? Note that the garage sockets all come after the 13A FCU now.

Thanks.

Sorry, one more thing. Am I OK to have branches in my garage wiring or must I keep the sockets linear? Note that the garage sockets all come after the 13A FCU now. Thanks.
If they're all being supplied from the 13A FCU, you're free to wire them in any way you like - branches are fine. You will, of course,be limited to a 13A maximum total load on all teh sockets.

Kind Regards, John.

Ok Thanks. Load won't be a problem - 2 of the sockets are for garage door openers, 1 for power tools I use inside the garage and 1 for lawn mower/trimmer etc for the nearby lawn. Probably physically impossible to do all at the same time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back