Installing FCU for burglar alarm & additional sockets at same time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I am installing a burglar alarm. All the wiring/sensors etc will come back to the garage. The installation requires the alarm be powered via a 3A FCU. This in itself is not a problem, as I can run a spur from a downstairs socket (ring final, 2.5mm T+E, 32A MCB)

However I was wondering if I could install a single or double outlet at the same time, as there are no outlets in the garage and it would be handy to have one.
If I wanted to do this, how would I wire it? Is it correct that I'd need to run the FCU as a spur off the ring final socket, wire the alarm into the FCU, then run the new outlet from the same FCU? Also, I'm guessing the ocassional lawnmower or car vacuum I intend to use from the new sockets would overload the 3A fuse in the FCU that the burglar alarm requires - any issues with putting a 13A fuse in there instead if the new sockets are to be supplied by the FCU?

Thanks for any advice...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Extend the ring to the FCU and the new socket.
Thanks, so just to be clear, i can't just fit a fused spur as in the attached diagram, I need to have the ring cct expanded and have the fcu directly on it?

Attachments

• PXL_20230216_214219486.jpg
    PXL_20230216_214219486.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 63
You can. It's just what flameport suggested gives you more potential current and future options

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back