120 boiler pressure drop - do I need a new pressure vessel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 5 year old Ideal response 120 boiler which has problems with the pressure and I am having to top up every 3 days or so. Occasionally it goes to 0 and shuts down and I have to manually increase the pressure up to 2 before it will light up again. It then shoots up to 2.5 on the bar gauge and then my overflow pipe (not sure if this is right word) constantly drips water from the boiler onto my external wall.
The plumber who came yesterday is suggesting I get a new pressure vessel (his description) (12 litres) installed to help expansion (costing about £200). But I only have a 2 bedroom house with one bathroom. At most during winter I have 5 or 6 radiators on.

I have now read lots on the 120 and realise it's a crappy system but I don't know whether the advice I have been given is o.k. or whether I should just call it a day and get a new boiler installed. What would you suggest ?

I am also conscious that my heating bills were £1100 for 12 months which seems excessive because my husband and I are out at work all day.
Please help. Forgive the non techie wording. Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
first of all dont pressurise it to 2bar. 1-1.5 will do but the reason it wont come back on until you put it so high is the water pressure switch is clogged/knackered. its not hard to repair/replace this.

the water dripping from outside is normal once you get near 3 bar. i would suggest the valve that this water is leaking from is also in need of replacement, they never really seal all that well after they have been dripping for long periods.

the expansion vessel (pressure vessel) can be recharged rather than replacing it. if its punctured inside and can no longer hold the recharge then it will need replacing. again not a difficult job if there is enough access above the boiler......a nightmare if there isnt.

if you have the money i would bin this awful boiler and get something more efficient and reliable. rubbing two sticks together is sometimes a better way of generating heat than this boiler. :LOL:

Many thanks for your advice. I've been reading how awful these boilers are and now understand why my bills have been so high.
The boiler is sited high near to the ceiling so the only access is to take it down off the wall. If the water pressure switch is clogged how do I get it cleaned ? Would draining the radiator system help as I am in a hard water area and haven't had it done for a couple of years ? I know I should have with hindsight but couldn't afford it.

clueless63 said:
Many thanks for your advice. I've been reading how awful these boilers are and now understand why my bills have been so high.
The boiler is sited high near to the ceiling so the only access is to take it down off the wall. If the water pressure switch is clogged how do I get it cleaned ? Would draining the radiator system help as I am in a hard water area and haven't had it done for a couple of years ? I know I should have with hindsight but couldn't afford it.

the boiler doesnt necessarily have to come off the wall. a remote expansion vessel can possibly be put somewhere else on the system.

the WPS has to be removed from the boiler to clean it. not a huge job but fiddly on this model.

i would still advise you to bin this boiler at your earliest opportunity but obviously that is far more money.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the follow up. I will let my plumber go ahead with the remote expansion vessel and ask him to declog the pressure switch. I had a new one fitted in Jan of this year so I don't think it is faulty.

for a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom (with power shower) house what would you recommend in terms of boilers ? Any particular reliable types e.g. Worcester ? (only name I know). Also do you think the problem with the pressure gauge has helped contribute to the high gas bills ?

Chris R said that it can be replaced from the side if there is space.

I tried for fun on one I was removing but did not have quite enough space to get it out as it needs about 150 mm to do it comfortably.

By bending the chassis I got it out as I wanted to lighten the boiler before taking it off the wall.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back