12v 3/4G mobile router for Texecom Connect use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a Texecom Connect via my Virgin Media broadband and rely on it to tell me when my son gets home from school (as well as my home security)

I had a full day of no internet yesterday, pre planned maintenance work as Virgin had sent a letter but it got me thinking about alternate internet access.

Has anyone ever use a 4G GSM router that's small enough to be powered by an alarm panel (utilising the battery backup if needed) and a PAYG sim for the data exclusively for the alarm system only? If so what model did they use and is it reliable?

I did think about permanently using an old iPhone and creating a 'personal hotspot' and keeping it plugged into the mains but was unsure how long this would last.

Any other suggestions that don't rely on my Virgin broadband?

cheer.

Sponsored Links
I have plugged my phone into my router, virgin broadband in modem and use a router that can use either the virgin or dongle, it gets powered by the router.

As for data consumption, you may be able to see how much the app is using to work out what is the best option for you.

Texecom haven't yet released there 4g enabled smart com which is under test so I keep getting told.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I also use Virgin broadband. Using a Draytek router with a 4G dongle for the rare occasions of broadband failure. Great piece if kit.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that with Connect being a free service, it can't be 100% relied upon. Texecom's servers are down occasionaly so regardless of your home broadband, it's still not a guaranteed means of signalling. The "dual path" Smartcom that is rumoured is likely to come with some kind of subscription costs due to mobile data usage.

Don't forget that with Connect being a free service, it can't be 100% relied upon. Texecom's servers are down occasionaly so regardless of your home broadband, it's still not a guaranteed means of signalling. The "dual path" Smartcom that is rumoured is likely to come with some kind of subscription costs due to mobile data usage.
I have a 3rd party GSM voice dialler that’s activated on a genuine alarm. The smart com is as a backup to that to give exact zone information etc. but mainly to make sure my son leaves and gets home from school safety.

Saying that I’ve found the Smart Comm to be pretty reliable so far especially compared to my old ComWifi it replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back