15mm Gate Valve connection to 1/2” Float valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m struggling with a noisy float valve in my header tank and figured that fitting a gate valve in lieu of an isolation valve will allow me to control the inlet pressure and help reduce the noise. If I fit a 15mm compression gate valve, what’s the best way of connecting to a 1/2 inch float valve - straight adaptor? I’ll value any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Closing ,partially, a gate valve will not alter pressure. It would restrict/reduce the flow, which may cause other issues. Such as taking water from the tank at a faster rate than it replenishes would likely result in air locks.
You need to establish what exactly is causing the noise ,and eradicate it.

Many thanks for your reply. I did wonder. I really need to identify a silent fill float valve as Beta and Flomaster both create undesirable refill noise through the valve seat and diaphragm. Thanks again.

Is the tank in a loft ?
Is it insulated,does it have a lid?
Do you have excessively high mains cold water pressure ? If you do ,a pressure reducing valve fitted prior to the tank would be worth installing.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your reply. The tank is in the loft and is insulated with a lid - yes. I’m not sure whether the pressure is excessive, but it is high. I’ve reduced stop cock pressure a little. I’ll seek a suitable pressure reducing valve and see if it resolves. Any suggestions?

One of my toilet cisterns has got a sort of tubular plastic bag that hangs down from the outlet. This seems to eliminate any filling noises.
Would something like this solve the problem?

Thanks Conny - that will certainly help reduce the sound of running water, although it’s not really the problem I’m experiencing. I believe that may not be compliant with latest anti-syphon regulations either. Appreciate the advice though.

Do they still do those plastic sleeves which direct the flow under the water level.

Blup

Thanks Exedon - Fluidmaster are my go-to for toilet cisterns but I’d not considered for header tank as have been blinkered to a ball-float. Brilliant suggestion - many thanks

Is it fed by a 15mm pipe? If you have high pressure and high flow then any water velocity over 2ms will definitely create flow noise through the pipework and valves.

One way to reduce that would be to increase the pipe size to 22mm and fit full bore valves. A standard cistern ball valve shouldn't really make excessive noise unless, as suggested, the water velocity is too high. If that's the case then you may need to fit a PRV to the mains or a flow limiting valve to the feed to the cistern. As far as water running noise is concerned then fitting an angled water table into the cistern can help with that as long as gaps are maintained

Do they still do those plastic sleeves which direct the flow under the water level.

Blup
Not WRAS approved any more I don't think, any cold water storage cistern fed by the mains is supposed to have an Type AG air gap. Those tubes were found to create a path back to the valve and if you've have ever seen those tubes after a while in use, they get pretty filthy and I wouldn't want all that crap possibly backflowing to the valve and into the mains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back