16 downlighters on on circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am looking to put about 16 downlights in my garage .I am going to buy one of those fancy scene control switches. It says max power load 360w so it should be ok to put 16 20w bulbs on circuit or am i missing something here?

Sponsored Links
I presume by down lighters you are refering to low voltage downlights?

If so the answer is to your quesion is probably NO Since low voltage downlights are run from a transformer most dimmer switches can not operate transformers, also some transformers can not be operated by dimmers. That said there are now "special electronic transformers" that can be operated via a dimmer but most can not.

Not sure about the 16 spots on one circuit idea, you would have to calculate the total ampage and fit a suitable cable run from your fusebox which could cope. Ive just bought some 20w spots from B+Q which came with one 'dimmable' transformer or so it says on the transformer. This set of 3 spots was around £20, although I dont intend to have a dimmer on this circuit I noted your question and thought this info may help. Andy B

Sponsored Links
I also read, that if you are using mains halogen lighting (not the low voltage variety) you have to under specifiy when using things like dimmer switches. have a butchers in B&Q on the back of their dimmers for more info...

hth

az

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back