16A MCB in the consumer unit?

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a cable from the consumer unit to the garden shed (1.5 SWA cable) at a depth of 18 inches and running 25m long which runs a shed light operated by a pullcord switch.

I've got a spare rcd weather proof socket which I would like to install in the shed and possibly use the same cable.

I've been told if I use a 16A MCB in the consumer unit and a fused spur (with 3A or 5A fuse) installed in the shed for the light, it should be OK.

Does anyone know if this is right?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's a cable from the consumer unit to the garden shed (1.5 SWA cable) at a depth of 18 inches and running 25m long which runs a shed light operated by a pullcord switch.
What breaker is it on right now?

I've got a spare rcd weather proof socket which I would like to install in the shed and possibly use the same cable.

I've been told if I use a 16A MCB in the consumer unit and a fused spur (with 3A or 5A fuse) installed in the shed for the light, it should be OK.

Does anyone know if this is right?

OK - yes, you would need an FCU for the lights at the other end, and as I said changing the MCB is notifiable and really should not be done without checking that the existing cable is OK for voltage drop and above all fault-loop impedance.

If you read the information linked to above you'll see why.

Sponsored Links
on 25M run you will be way out of spec on volt drop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back