1930's bay windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask for some opinions please? We are replacing original metal in wood frames in curved bay windows so we need 5 single casement windows with small window at the top in each bay with a pole between each one. Have decided to go with a local supplier of one of the top-rated makes- rehau, veka, etc as advised by many. Now it's down to looks.

I know we need 70mm depth but are there different widths of frames and opening windows? Some look really bulky, especially the covers that go over the poles between each window and we don't want to lose too much light.. Which designs look best in 30's house? Our's is only house in street with curved bay so can't ask neighbours.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can I ask for some opinions please? We are replacing original metal in wood frames in curved bay windows so we need 5 single casement windows with small window at the top in each bay with a pole between each one. Have decided to go with a local supplier of one of the top-rated makes- rehau, veka, etc as advised by many. Now it's down to looks.

I know we need 70mm depth but are there different widths of frames and opening windows? Some look really bulky, especially the covers that go over the poles between each window and we don't want to lose too much light.. Which designs look best in 30's house? Our's is only house in street with curved bay so can't ask neighbours.

Thanks

I know what you mean about the frame thickness, especially once you've screwed a bay pole and adaptor to a frame, kind of makes it twice as thick, its really down to personal preference but bear in mind if there's a bay above then you need as much strength in the downstairs bay as poss, if so then you're installer if he's on the ball and cares will advise you to have a structural bay pole.

Some companies round here fit jacking poles within the bay poles, now you don't see that that often! Speak with them and raise you're concerns NOW, it shows them you know what your looking for and may not be a simple push over and are more likely to do a good job for you.

Don't go for a thin frame because it looks good, sacrifice a little light for peace of mind

Thanks for your advice. I've been asking lots of questions! Have not been able to find slimmer opening sashes so assume there must be a good reason. Am probably going with small local firm who supply both rehau and veka and who sent me testimonials from customers without being asked.

Sponsored Links
Dont forget, if, as crank says it is a supporting bay and structural bay pole is specced, the bay pole should go through the cill section and sit on the brickwork below. Now THERES something you don't see very often either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back