No bay-poles...options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just bought a traditional double-bay fronted 1930's Semi. The Structural Engineer reported that the (recently replaced) uPVC bay windows didn't have bay-poles, which had caused some movement to the bay on the first floor.

I was wondering what my options are? Are the bay-poles an integral part of the window frame, or could we remove the windows, get baypoles installed and re-fit the windows?

The windows are only about a year old and are in fine condition - also we have a lot of other work to do to the house, so we're really looking for the cheapest solution.

All advice appreciated,
Ryan.

Sponsored Links
All depends, if they measured the windows to big that may be the reason they never used the bay poles, you will need to take off the covering trim to see how much room you have between each window, if there is enough room for a pole then put one in, if it is a load bearing bay downstairs you will also need a bay jack.

Very odd if baypoles wernt fitted at all, Poorly fitted poles are common but to not fit them at all would mean total cowboys.
I would expect that they are fitted but either:
Dont go right through the sills.
Are not fitted with jacks.
Cut too short.
or are not fitted with plates at the head to spread the load.

Do you know what company fitted them? They should have a 10 year guarantee, You can report them to trading standards and Fensa if they are Fensa registered. But I would try to get them to sort it out first before reporting them.

The windows will have had to have been either signed off by building control or Fensa registered for you to have bought the house without problems during the buying process. So you or your solicitor should be able to work out who fitted them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back