1930's Essex refurb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been visiting this forum for some time now for little bits of advice or just browsing my own queries. I thought it was time I posted a bit of a diary of my progress on my second home, for posterity's sake.
I'm not in the building trade, I have basic to intermediate levels of DIY knowledge and unfortunatley my pockets aren't that deep!
Me and my wife moved out of a 2 bedroom pre fab (our first house) 6 weeks ago and into a 3 bedroom, 1930's built semi detached (just outside Romford, Essex)
Our first house needed some work doing. The previous owners had decided to remove all skirting boards, all architrave and most of the doors, meaning I had to learn how to do all this. in addition there were some other minor jobs that needed doing but nothing extensive.
The new house however is certainly a 'project'. It needs new kitchen (bought, I'm going to install it) New bathroom (bought, I'm going to install it too) Extensive replastering, new windows (ordered, fitting in 4 weeks) It had a rewire (don't worry, not done by me ;) ) The survey picked up signs of woodworm in some areas of the downstairs (I have treated with Soluguard) Blown render on the outside and a couple areas of damp which I think has been caused by old leaking radiators and pipework (replaced) It also highlighted a problem with extensive cracks around the bay windows.
This is all off the top of my head, I'll post some pics and progress of updates and any other things I'v missed.

Sponsored Links
I will be starting similar project in Dagenham. Would love to see some pictures for inspiration and also any tips advice would be appreciated. New white upvc windows just fitted today to replace brown ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back