1930s house inner brick work supported on rotten wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my post 'the beetles ate my kitchen floor', I was hoping they had not eated the joists, I'm an optimist.
The beetles and rot had eaten the joists, all I have now in the kitchen of the house we bought in December is a mud floor.
See pics,
I was optimistic in replaing the joists and floor until I stuck a screw driver into the wall plates. The are soft and easily break up. The joists poke into the wall and are supported on a 1'' by 4'' wall plate above some bitumin. The wall plates have been eated and the ones under where the sink was are rotten and like sponge.
The challenge is that the inner skin of brick work also sits on this spongy wall plate.
I figure I can remove it a section at a time but my question is, does anyone know if I need to put wood back under the bricks or just fill the gap with mortar and slate?
Also should I replace the wall plates under each joist? they stick in the 2 '' slots so that would be just a 2'' bit of wall plate and that seems daft.
Infact the whole idea of sitting the wall on a 1'' thick wood strip in the first place seems daft, but they did it so must have had a reason. Any ideas would be much appreciated,
Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back