2.5'' laptop hardrive shorted :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

Toshiba laptop hardrive with about 37.5gig of data and winxp on shorted.

I think my hardrive is cooked icon_sad.gif connected to a pc to back it up before doing anything . A bad smell of burning came from hd either the connector or cable shorted out icon_exclaim.gif . Can I replace the pcb/electonrics is there a online guide ? HD is a Toshiba MK 40 25 GAS or as a last resort how much is data recovery ? Will try to add photos later.

Which numbers on hardrive need to be matched up and which chip/s need resolder/replace ?

Sponsored Links
Data recovery is very very very expensive if the harddrive really is dead.

Can you borrow a 2.5" usb caddy? and try to image the drive from there?

I suggest imaging as if the drive is failing you can then play with the image on a new HDD.

If the electronics on the drive are dead then try to ebay an identical drive and swap the platters over. Not an easy task though... If no drive is available then consider a donor pc with the same drive on ebay.

http://www.wikihow.com/Swap-Hard-Disk-Drive-Platters

The costs of a caddy and the drive will be a lot less than the cost of data recovery on a failed drive

I would not swap the platters - you will have very little sucsess unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing and have a very very clean room!

best bet is to replace the controller board (the PCB) as that will be the most probable cause... usualy the data on the HDD is fine

Sponsored Links
Back