2 GANG 1 WAY DOUBLE LIGT SWITCH......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME, I,M CHANGING A TWO GANG ONE WAY DOUBLE DIMMER SWITCH BACK TO A NORMAL DOUBLE ON OFF SWITCH, THERE ARE FOUR RED WIRES WHEN I REMOVED THE DIMMER SWITCH WERE DO I PUT THEM, ONE IS LIVE THE OTHERS ARE NOT, TESTED THEM WITH MY ELECTRIC SCREWDRIVER THE NEW SWITCH HAS TWO SETS OF CONNECTIONS SIDE BY SIDE AT THE TOP THERE ARE TWO C AND AT THE BOTTOM TWO L1 TWO L2 WERE DO I PUT THE WIRERS PLEASE...................

Sponsored Links
The idea is to take careful note of where the wires go before taking them out, then you cna put them back in the right place. OK, too late for that this time ...

As to which wire goes where - I'm not going to even attempt to explain it. From e verything you've said, the best thing you can do is open the Yellow Pages at E and look for Electrician.

PJ

A neon screwdriver is not a suitable test instrument as it can give false readings.
You need either a multi-meter or an approved voltage indicator.
You say you have four reds, are these in singles or are they paired up in a PVC sheath, normally grey?
If they are paired, this should indicate that each pair is an individual switch drop for each light.
So one will be live, which should go to com and the other will be the switch return which should go to L1 or can go to L2 (of each corresponding gang).
If they are not paired you need to identify which cable is which, so back to the multi-meter.

CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME, I,M CHANGING A TWO GANG ONE WAY DOUBLE DIMMER SWITCH BACK TO A NORMAL DOUBLE ON OFF SWITCH, THERE ARE FOUR RED WIRES WHEN I REMOVED THE DIMMER SWITCH WERE DO I PUT THEM, ONE IS LIVE THE OTHERS ARE NOT, TESTED THEM WITH MY ELECTRIC SCREWDRIVER THE NEW SWITCH HAS TWO SETS OF CONNECTIONS SIDE BY SIDE AT THE TOP THERE ARE TWO C AND AT THE BOTTOM TWO L1 TWO L2 WERE DO I PUT THE WIRERS PLEASE...................

1: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting.

2: Please don't SHOUT.

Sponsored Links

Where did the wires go in the old switch?

You will have to refer to the diagram or photograph you made before disconnecting the switch.

I would have expected you to have two constantly live wires, but there are of course many different ways of wiring switches.

How many lights does each switch serve?

Were there any short links of wire fitted at the switch?

Thank You All For Your Help I Have Worked Them Out From A Diagram On This Site And Have Now Tape The Wires In There Right Colours.
thank you all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back