2 new ones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when storing brushes/ gloss rollers for a few days , what is the best way of keeping them in good nick , also i have worked with pro painters who have given me practical tips along the way none of them have heard of putting aplastic shopping bag over your paint trays b4 putting in the paint therefore saving the tray getting in a mess ?????

Sponsored Links
I've put paint brushes into a sealed plastic bag overnight to keep them fresh - it seems to work, although some of the paint does dry and can cause problems if it flakes of into the fresh paint the next day.

Far better to spend the time to clean brushes and rollers after use.

After cleaning brushes I often wrap in bog roll to help keep them in shape.

I did a painting apprenticeship for a little while and we used to put rubber band on the end of the paint brush ready for next time.It did keep it in good nick.

for oil based paints.

store the uncleaned brush in a pot of water, keep topping it up and it will last for months. when ready to use it shake of the water and continue.
I have 1" and 2" brushes for black gloss and white gloss stored like this.

for water based paints.
wrap the bristle and shank in clingfilm.
when ready to use it peel and paint.

it the brushes are cleaned, hang them on nails in the workshop allowing the moisture to drain with gravity

Sponsored Links
renovator said:
if the brushes are cleaned, hang them on nails in the workshop allowing the moisture to drain with gravity
So that's what the hole in the handle is for !!!!

Cling film has worked for me when using emulsion. Don't try it with gloss though it makes a real mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back