2 over 2 old style cord & sash windows in need of treatm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have the old sash and cord type windows and to be honest the paint and original varnish etc has about worn off, as I will be moving in the not too distant future I don't really want to spend on installing new windows, although you may say that will help to sell the property.

And I would prefer just to get the timber part of the windows all repaired where necessary and treated, my question really is who do I go to to get this type of work done, as it's more repair and paint rather than a window thing even though it's the windows at the end of the day.

Any thoughts on this please? :)

Sponsored Links
New windows won't nessasarily mean it's easier to sell in the long run, think original period features and all that , so you are probably looking at the correct route.
If it's only defective paintwork then get a decorator in, and if there are repairs to the windows themselves then pretty much any decent chippy should be able to do them up. Depending on how much work needs doing then it may need the sashes removing for a couple of days so a sheet of ply screwed in place may be a tempoary measure. Having the windows un hung can also make decorating simpler too, there's nothing worse than having to go back to a window when it's been "glued" shut by paint :confused:

The timber outside needs much work done, plus some putty work I would imagine. It's the old style with the rope and weight at the side of each window, I have repaired one of those frayed ropes myself once but can't do the other as I just cannot get the other side panel off, and I don't want to damage them any further.

I could have had this all done when I was getting interior paintwork done, but decided against it at the time, now it's like it needs done pronto.

Like I say the wood will need repaired, treated, all the remaining paintwork scraped off and then smooth sanded, treated and painted.

Sponsored Links
I repair a lot of sash windows and there are no repairs that take over a day to complete. If the sashes are that bad it would be cheaper to get a new one made. These can be made to match the original.
The pocket cover should come out easily once the staff bead is removed and the parting bead loosened. If it has been painted or caulked in cut along the join with a stanley knife first. Sometimes idiots have nailed it in through the front of the box in which case you probably will cause some damage getting it out.
Two part filler is a great aid.

I repair a lot of sash windows and there are no repairs that take over a day to complete. If the sashes are that bad it would be cheaper to get a new one made. These can be made to match the original.
The pocket cover should come out easily once the staff bead is removed and the parting bead loosened. If it has been painted or caulked in cut along the join with a stanley knife first. Sometimes idiots have nailed it in through the front of the box in which case you probably will cause some damage getting it out.
Two part filler is a great aid.

Which online tradesman would do all that is needed would you think in Edinburgh?

The part between the frame outside and the wall may need to be redone as the cement looks a bit crumbly, would this all come under the same line of work?

I repair a lot of sash windows and there are no repairs that take over a day to complete. If the sashes are that bad it would be cheaper to get a new one made. These can be made to match the original..

You want to try working for someone like EH who look at making a new sash as completely wrong and strive to keep as much as possible of the original and seem only to know the word "splice" , then it can take days to repair one window. Couple that with having to save the glass, and clean up ironmongery and the time goes on and on.
Not saying I disagree with anything you have posted mind and your advice is correct.
:D

I can get an exact copy sash made for £60 + £5 per glazing bar bar + VAT in softwood or half as much again in Douglas. I charge £25 per hour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back