Sash Weights - different either side?

X

xeres

So I am renovating my sash windows in my new house. New to doing it, but a very competent DIYer. All painted in/cords cut etc as you'd expect but wonderfully, they are all original with one exception.

I have taken out both sashes and removed the weights from the first window. It is evident some historical, possibly recent, repairs have been actioned. The twit who did it cut the cords on the top hung yet didn't secure it - cue an almost immediate disaster with me on a step ladder puling it free to break to paint seal...!!!!! Thankfully no harm and I fell into it with my body weight trapping it into the jamb and stopping us both falling! Lesson learnt...

So my question - The top hung sash has had the weights removed. I will need to weight and calculate, I found a selection of old weights in the cellar so hopefully that'll be easily resolved. The lower sash had both weights attached and in tact though. What surprised me was that they were different - the left weight was larger and heavier than the right weight. Is this normal?

With thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
before anythin practice slidin the sashes on any frames that work - this will give you an idea an a feel for things.

youve got to be careful that both sahes have attached weights or one sash could fall on you.

use a nife to cut/break the staff bead paint.then remove the staff beads
remove both top an bottom sashes from the box frame an cut the cords .
be dead careful removin the top sash,if its a big sash use two of you with gloves.
with the sash free cut the cords

carry out any repairs to the sashes or box frame - reputty the glassan repaint the sashes an glazin bars with the sashes out.

use equal size weights an do a test fit - one sash at a time. if it needs adjustin try two different weights.but no need for calculations just eyeball and try it.
never seen unequal weights used on one sash?butin a pinch it might woork

before anythin practice slidin the sashes on any frames that work - this will give you an idea an a feel for things.

youve got to be careful that both sahes have attached weights or one sash could fall on you.

use a nife to cut/break the staff bead paint.then remove the staff beads
remove both top an bottom sashes from the box frame an cut the cords .
be dead careful removin the top sash,if its a big sash use two of you with gloves.
with the sash free cut the cords

carry out any repairs to the sashes or box frame - reputty the glassan repaint the sashes an glazin bars with the sashes out.

use equal size weights an do a test fit - one sash at a time. if it needs adjustin try two different weights.but no need for calculations just eyeball and try it.
never seen unequal weights used on one sash?butin a pinch it might woork

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated.

I intend to also do some weather stripping. Im thinking the easiest and most hidden method will be to simply rout a groove on the sash stiles and install brush stripping - any thoughts on this? I appreciate I may have to plane in the stiles as this will tighten the fit somewhat. Would welcome any recommendations on particularly good weather stripping.

Thanks

simplest solution is best for you. brush or rubberised insulation strips are good but they have to be just so installed or youl end up planin an shavin an sandin.
only instal window frame hardware eg. locks, when everythin else works an fits.

Sponsored Links
the furry strip is what you need on sashes, because it allows them to slide. It squashes very easily, so doesn't need much groove. Mine fits in the clearance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back