Double glazed sash windows - what is this twisted bar?

TKP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A double glazed sash window in my bedroom is quite difficult to close. When I decided to investigate, I noticed a twisted bar sticking out from one side of the upper sash. There's nothing like that on the other side or on the identical window in other room. What is this bar for? Am I right thinking this may be the reason it's quite difficult to close this window tightly? How easy is it to fix?

Also opening / closing these windows requires a fair bit of upper body strength due to sheer weight of sash panels. Is it normal for double glazed windows or can the weight of sashes be balanced to make the windows easier to operate? Both windows were installed by previous owners and I don't have any helpful paperwork :confused:

Sponsored Links
That is a spiral balancer, you have got one on the other side and you cannot see it as it is where it should be. The one you can see is knackered or may need winding up again, but watch your fingers

Any tips on how exactly it can be wound up? Using that plastic round part at the bottom of the bar? Apologoies if my Qs seem so naive - it's my first house (in general and with sash windows in particular :) ), so I've never had to worry about windows maintenance before :oops:

Hi

Its called a balance because when its tentioned properly its meant to nuatralise the weight of the window so it stops in any position and doesnt slip down or overspring back up.

There are two main types of conection from the window to the balance,yours is done by means of a metal peg on the bottom of the sash on either side that protrudes out and into the slot on the `clutch`that u can see on the bottom of the balance.The balance has been tensioned and slotted into the clutch so you dont do any winding its pre done if its still working.

If the peg is till there u need to unscrew it then pull the sash down until the peg position and the clutch are in line then slot the peg into the clutch and screw the peg back onto the sash while in final engaged position.

Be carefull of the sash dropping on you, a block of wood propped the opposite side may help while you work as your only taking half the load at the moment.
Also the clutch has another job so watch your fingers and hear is why,the clutch is designed so the when the sash is dropped inwards towards the house the peg twists in the clutch and forms a lock ,this may be ready to release and shoot back up if the clutch isnt fully set in the twisted position(this can be done with a screw driver) the other reason is it may be just sstting there in the shoot up sprung position is the balance hase failed inside and is never going to spring up/tension again.
In this case it would be worth getting a repir man in to strip out and replace as your streching DIY to go any further(if you still have your fingers and your head is still attached that is ).
Alan

Sponsored Links
looking closer at the picture they look like they may be the pr tensioned balancers , you will slide a metal plate that is located under the sash into the plastic block. to be honest they can be a **** to do even if you know what you are doing, may be easier to get someone in

Thank you both for the explanation. I will have a closer look for this clutch but to be honest the prospect of things dropping on or shooting at me is a bit discouraging :LOL: I am not usually shying off some DIY but perhaps I will follow your advice and call in someone who (hopefully) knows what to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back