double glazed units in wooden sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

All our wooden sash windows (installed about 6 years) are single glazed. Would it be possible (easy/difficult/waste of time?) to replace the glazing with double glazed sealed units. Or would it be better to just replace the sash parts?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Can I ask why you're thinking about the double glazed unit? Is it to make it warmer or quieter etc?

Both really. But warmer would be the main reason. In the middle of the countryside, oil fired central heating, high ceilings and so very expensive to heat!

Just done one in London NW8, 12' high sash window :eek: The rebate wasn't deep enough for D/G unit so ended up having secondary glazing which is removeable for the summer. Although you can now buy heat saving reflection glass which is known as Low-E glass.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip about low e glass. Would that make much of a difference do you think? I just wonder how difficult/expensive a job it is to have brand new sashes made (not the whole window) to carry sealed units.

Thanks again.

Double glazed sashes would cost you around £500 a pair i should think you have to allow for the joinery-glass and lead weights to counter balance.
Have you thought about draught-proofing its much more cost effective and to double glaze without draught-proofing would be a wasted effort in my opinion.

Depends how much you dislike secondary glazing, but if you have nets it isn't very noticeable. Will give better sound and heat insulation.

Im not a fan of secondary glazing its a chore every time you want to open a window and extra glass to clean, worst of all it detracts from the appearance of what are features of a house if you are lucky enough to have them box sash windows.
Draught proofing is discreet and effective and when combined with double glazed sashes gives you a fantastic window that will add value to any period home.
Just my opinion of course :)

masona said:
Just done one in London NW8, 12' high sash window :eek: The rebate wasn't deep enough for D/G unit so ended up having secondary glazing which is removeable for the summer. Although you can now buy heat saving reflection glass which is known as Low-E glass.

Can I ask what Low-E glass sizes are, are they the same size as double glazed glass or are they as thin as normal window glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back