Refurbing windows to block out noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have old wooden sash windows to the front of a cottage onto a busy road; and 6 old wooden casement windows on the back looking out to fields.

All windows are in poor condition. Im in a quandary about whether to replace them or not: I hate upvc and I fear timber windows will be to expensive. This leads me to think about having the windows refurbed and adding secondary glazing. A few questions:

1) Is it at all possible to somehow refurb the windows and put in acoustic/double glazing?
2) I want the front sash windows to block out as much noise as possible. Would secondary glazing be better at doing this than double glazing? (If double glazing is better then Id probably need to get new windows)
3) Is acoustic glazing better than double/triple glazing?
4) What would be the most cost-effective solution that achieves the best result?

I can post up some photos if that helps.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've got single glazed old sash windows and they are cold, especially this time of the year.

On a couple of the windows I have added a secondary glazing pane, held in buy some plastic channels http://www.tubeway.co.uk/easyfix-diy/superglaze.html

On the whole, this system works a treat, there is no condensation if done properly.
I also used some self adhesive foam tape, on the reverse before I screwed them on (carefully) to the frame.

I too don't like UPVC, that said, there are decent ones available. I don't like the 45° welds that upvc windows have on the frame corners.
I have some that have been manufactured with mitred cuts and screwed, like a traditional wood window.
http://bisonframes.co.uk/windows/genesis

Cheap they are not, around £4-500... but they look smart.

Should say with the upvc, double glazed, there is no condensation, and the noise reduction is good, I'll post a pic when I take one.

Hope this helps.

That would be great if you could post a pic Mr Chibs.

The UPVC windows you linked to look really nice! I think Id need to see them up close to see how 'natural' they look. £500 per window doesnt sound too bad. I suppose Id need to add labour to that. Ive no idea how much it would be to refurb the existing windows and then add secondary glazing.

I should say that the place does get a lot of condensation. (There are no cavity walls etc...) I would have thought double glazed upvc windows would create more condensation because it would be such a sealed unit. Maybe they have trickle vents.

There is no easy solution.

A new timber box sash would cost say £1200 to £1500 each fitted.

A full refurb by an established sash refurb company like ventrolla costs very roughly half the cost of a new timber box sash. They can supply new sashes with slimlite double glazing, new draught sealed staff and parting beads.

Upvc costs say £600 -£800 per window. The best available are surprisingly good, with mechanical joints etc.

http://cwgchoices.com/vertical-sliding-sash-windows/

Sponsored Links
I have old wooden sash windows to the front of a cottage onto a busy road; and 6 old wooden casement windows on the back looking out to fields.

All windows are in poor condition. Im in a quandary about whether to replace them or not: I hate upvc and I fear timber windows will be to expensive. This leads me to think about having the windows refurbed and adding secondary glazing. A few questions:

1) Is it at all possible to somehow refurb the windows and put in acoustic/double glazing?
2) I want the front sash windows to block out as much noise as possible. Would secondary glazing be better at doing this than double glazing? (If double glazing is better then Id probably need to get new windows)
4) What would be the most cost-effective solution that achieves the best result?

I can post up some photos if that helps.
Thanks
Secondary glazing will be close to the cost of replacement and far less effective.

Is it a listed building? Conservation area?

Are these single-pane sashes or multiple smaller panes? ("Georgian")

Is the problem largely that the sashes rattle when traffic passes?

Yes, it's possible to fit double glazed units into existing wooden sashes - but it's expensive, and the acoustic improvement will be small.

2) I want the front sash windows to block out as much noise as possible. Would secondary glazing be better at doing this than double glazing?

Yes, probably.

What exactly do you mean by "acoustic glazing"? If you mean the acoustic laminate glass, I think the improvement is is claimed to make is quite small.

Get used to the noise :(

Thicker curtains?

Secondary units are surprisingly expensive.

Last edited:
If you want acoustic glazing, double glazing with 1x 4mm pane and 1 x 6.3 lam pane is a good compromise.

Stadip glass or equivalent is expensive for not achieving a massive improvement.

Is it a listed building? Conservation area?

Are these single-pane sashes or multiple smaller panes? ("Georgian")

Is the problem largely that the sashes rattle when traffic passes?

Yes, it's possible to fit double glazed units into existing wooden sashes - but it's expensive, and the acoustic improvement will be small.

The building is not listed, but is on Dartmoor.

They are single pane sashes.

They dont rattle. They just offer nothing in the way of baffling the sound or keeping in warmth.

If "Secondary glazing will be close to the cost of replacement and far less effective" PLUS the cost of refurbing the windows then it seems I should get good quality upvc sash windows. Becuase I live in a conversation area I should check to make sure theyre happy with the replacement windows. Who would I contact? Would this cost money? Would I send them a link to the upvc windows Im thinking of installing?

Thanks

The building is not listed, but is on Dartmoor.

They are single pane sashes.

They dont rattle. They just offer nothing in the way of baffling the sound or keeping in warmth.

If "Secondary glazing will be close to the cost of replacement and far less effective" PLUS the cost of refurbing the windows then it seems I should get good quality upvc sash windows. Becuase I live in a conversation area I should check to make sure theyre happy with the replacement windows. Who would I contact? Would this cost money? Would I send them a link to the upvc windows Im thinking of installing?

Thanks

I would suggest talking to a upvc supplier first they will know in general whether their windows can be fitted in conservation areas. They may not know your local authority or specific situation so the next stage would be to obtain sectional drawings from the supplier so that you can go to your local authority. You may need a formal application.

You live in a national park area so I would expect the conservation officer to be fairly strict although it depends on the location -'street scene' is the key. They will be more fussy about Tavistock high street than a quiet cul de sac.

The key will be to find a supplier that can quite accurately mirror the existing section sizes so that the sash stiles, bottom rail, meeting rails, glazing bars and glasslines are all pretty similar.

The prices I suggested are a very very rough guideline, so do your research to see how the numbers stack up.

Becuase I live in a conversation area I should check to make sure theyre happy with the replacement windows. Who would I contact?

Your local council; probably Dartmoor in your case.

Would this cost money?

There is no charge for listed building consent. I'm unsure about the procedure for unlisted buildings in conservation areas.

Would I send them a link to the upvc windows Im thinking of installing?

Eventually yes, but I'd start by finding out if they have any guidance documents.

Secondary glazing can be much more effective than double glazing for reducing sound if
1. You place the secondary glazing 150-200mm away from your primary glass
2. The secondary glazing is a different thickness to your primary glazing.

Let me know of you need any additional info .

My parents put in some wood effect pvc windows. Cheap upvc looks cheap, but pay more and you might find something nice.

Also think about internal insulation of walls - is there any? Improving thermal insulation also reduces noise from roads, different densities in the wall help cut out lower frequencies, or something like that!

I live by a busy road and have large bay windows - when closed I cannot hear the road.

Ultimately you have to ask, what annoys you more, the way your windows look, or the cold, damp and noise you have with old single glazed windows. Pull the curtains, enjoy the peace and quiet.

Oh ffs not again.

MOD, can you makes old threads more obvious? E.g. Change colour maybe if more than a few months old? Some forums give a warning if replying to an old thread too.

They give a warning to the first reply to the old thread (i.e. Jandy’s). But you (jonbey) didn’t get that warning, because yours was only a short time after the previous one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back