Double Glazed units for Acoustic sound reduction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hope everyone reading is well and keeping safe.

I live next to a road and traffic noise is an issue in our victorian flat.

I've already embarked on the endless project of renovating the original sash windows and have so far renovated 3 sash windows in the first room.

Taking the old sashes out and apart, re-gluing, re- painting and installing some 6.4mm acoustic glass.

Additional to this I have installed a secondary glazing with a 100mm air gap in between the inside surface of the sash window and the inside face of the secondary glazing (also with 6.4mm acoustic glass)

Whilst the reduction in noise is significant, I wondered if I could do even better.

Also since the last time I renovated the windows in the first room and my current sash window renovation (Second room) my routing skills or confidence has improved and I deepened the rebate of the original sash windows to allow for a 12mm double glazed unit)

I will also be fitting a secondary glazing unit to this sash aswell with a 6.4mm acoustic glass.

the only difference between this sash window and the first set of sash windows that I previously renovated will be the inclusion of 12mm double glazed units.

Since Acoustics is the first priority here I have been looking at the following options

3mm outer & inner glass with a 6mm air gap (Krypton filled) quoted uv 1.5 8.7kg

or

4mm outer & inner glass and a 4mm air gap (krypton filled) quoted uv 1.9 11.6kg

all things considered I'm in favour of the 3mm outer / inner on account that its A cheaper, B better UV, Lighter

I'd be interested in any others opinions with what may offer the best option regarding reduction in noise.

Thank you for reading

and thank you for any responses.

Sponsored Links
Honestly i don't think the sealed unit is going to make any difference with what you have already done, as you are removing a 6.4mm acoustic piece of glass ( it is accoustic and not just plain 6.4 Laminate isn't it ? ) and replacing it with non accoustic glass ( and filled with Krypton gas ) . I suspect those particularly units will not be overly cheap either as , from experience Krypton gas filled units usually aren't!
You need to investigate where else noise may be getting in , such as down chimneys , through lofts and walls . The next thing you have to watch out for is that where you have changed the glass in the sliding sashes , the weights may need changing for the sashes to work correctly

Honestly i don't think the sealed unit is going to make any difference with what you have already done, as you are removing a 6.4mm acoustic piece of glass ( it is accoustic and not just plain 6.4 Laminate isn't it ? ) and replacing it with non accoustic glass ( and filled with Krypton gas ) . I suspect those particularly units will not be overly cheap either as , from experience Krypton gas filled units usually aren't!
You need to investigate where else noise may be getting in , such as down chimneys , through lofts and walls . The next thing you have to watch out for is that where you have changed the glass in the sliding sashes , the weights may need changing for the sashes to work correctly

The original glass in the second room that i'm currently renovating had 3mm glass which i've now removed.

So I now have the option of what glass to replace the original 3mm.

so do i go with

3mm outer & inner glass with a 6mm air gap (Krypton filled) quoted uv 1.5 8.7kg

or

4mm outer & inner glass and a 4mm air gap (krypton filled) quoted uv 1.9 11.6kg

A sealed unit on its own, at those thicknesses will not offer very good sound insulation at all

Sponsored Links
A sealed unit on its own, at those thicknesses will not offer very good sound insulation at all

I'll be adding a secondary glazing unit aswell, maintaining at least 100mm in between the inside face of the sash dgu and the secondary glazing acoustic glass

Personally i would stick with the original idea of 6.4 accoustic Lami , it offers the better soundproofing through that interlayer than you will get from those thicknesses of sealed unit

Personally i would stick with the original idea of 6.4 accoustic Lami , it offers the better soundproofing through that interlayer than you will get from those thicknesses of sealed unit
so just so I understand you correctly,

if I were to install 6.4 acoustic glass into the sash windows and add a secondary glazing with 6.4mm withat least a 100mm gap in between sash and secondary glazing,

would be better than

a dgu in the sash window and a secondary glazing with 6.4mm with at least a 100mm gap in between sash and secondary glazing,

I figure the acoustic laminate will be cheaper than the dgu.

yes, dgu's don't start offering any real accoustic deadening until at least 20mm thick overall ( 4/12/4 )

I would certainly maximise the gap between the DGU and laminated glass. Get as much as you can.
Where I work we use DGUs and leave 300 mm between the inner and outer this gets as big a gap as possible between surfaces. Ideally you want different thicknesses of glass to prevent standing
Do you want to be able to open any window? Don't forget escape.

The Victorian flat may well not be double skinned, and be a poor conversion - so your downstairs neighbour's' window could be allowing noise to enter through the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back