New acoustic double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We live on a busy road so we are replacing a 20 year old double glazed window with a new double glazed window with acoustic glass.

Just a quick question before it gets installed tomorrow. Should the installers fill any voids with insulating foam before adding the trim to ensure noise reduction is at a maximum

Sponsored Links
Sorry i cant help with your question.
But ill be interested to hear(harr harr) how you get on with the acoustic glass solution, as i am in a similar situation and am looking into my options.

Do you know what brand/configuration of acoustic glass is being installed?

Hi

We live on a busy road so we are replacing a 20 year old double glazed window with a new double glazed window with acoustic glass.

Just a quick question before it gets installed tomorrow. Should the installers fill any voids with insulating foam before adding the trim to ensure noise reduction is at a maximum

Yes 100% without a doubt, watch em! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

With the laminated ecopane glass which is 6.4mm thick should this be placed on the inside or outside of the double glazed pane. At the moment this is on the outside

The other pane is 4mm thick.

It seems to have cut down on some traffic noise but you can still hear the traffic? and it doesnt seem that different to the 20 year old double glazed unit we took out?

I dought it would make much difference which way its fitted acoustically. I would expect the lam is to the outside for added security.

I would have said something when you 1st posted but it sounded as if you had already ordered the glass.
When I looked into the acoustic units several years ago they only claimed a 20-30 decibel reduction in noise which when I googled it was the equivalent of leaves rustling or some one whispering.

With them being so expensive I personally don't think they are worth it. Secondary glazing with a 100mm air gap is supposed to be the most effective thing for noise reduction.

Hi

Just out of interest regarding foaming any gaps around the window, should this be done internally, externally or both?

When we replaced some windows to the front of the house we went for 2+1 windows and this made a difernce to the old double glazed units, but you still get some noise through walls and roof / ceiling.
We foamed all the gaps inside and outside. This is mainly for heat and structural stability even if the windows are bolted in.

Other than secondary glazing, we opted for a 40mm triple unit, 6.4 lami outside, 4mm float middle and 6mm tough inside, really can tell the difference. Got it from www.eewindows.co.uk

What does it look like with the 2 types of spacer bar in the same unit, i'd of thought it looks quite odd?

Pic please :LOL:

What does it look like with the 2 types of spacer bar in the same unit, i'd of thought it looks quite odd?

Pic please :LOL:

We have got some other triple glazed windows and you do not notice unless you look for them.

Ecopane/low e should be on the inside, does not make a difference regarding Lami inside or out when it comes to sound proofing....was triple glazed an option?

The solution has far more variables than one would think. It depends on the resonant frequency of the glass and the frequency of the unwanted sound and how they are calculated to interact. It also depends on the air gap (the larger the better) which is probably the most effective way of further reducing unwanted sound.

Double glazing can actually be worse than single glazing in many situations. And triple glazing can be worse than both or make little difference. It also depends on the frame, how well it is designed and how well it is fitted not to mention a multitude of other factors.

Secondary glazing is considered the most effective way of reducing sound as you create a much larger air-gap and the frame is usually independent from the actual window frame itself.

In response to a similar post last year, I found this document which better explains the considerations when trying to reduce noise. It is quite informative.

http://wielandacoustics.com/images/stories/single_double_or_triple_glazing.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back