2 pipe vs 1 pipe question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been measuring and fiddling with the heating system and I have possibly had a lightbulb moment.

I've turned the temperature on the boiler DOWN but i'm still managing to get sub 55c on the return pipe next to the boiler so I am assuming I am getting condensing.

I've also managed to solve the problem of a very cold study by opening its lockshield valve wide and at the same time I've cranked down the lockshield valves in the hallway but can still get them hot so I think the main issue was balancing, especially since the study does even better when the hall TRVs shut

Between the study and the hall however is the dining room which is a room that takes an age to heat up. This is a large but central room so at the "core" of the house.
I know that it is on the one pipe route that also goes through two bedrooms but i'm not sure of the direction of travel i.e. whether it goes upstairs first or not.

Here's the question....
- If I added the dining room radiator to the study flow and return (flow to flow and return to return obviously) and then
- Maintained the one pipe circuit, having taken the radiator off it, by connecting a length of bridging pipe.

Would the dining room heat up faster and with a hotter rad - no doubt after more fiddling with the balancing?

To be honest I am wondering if now is the time to spend some money and take the remnants of the one pipe out and put it on two pipe - its only the domestic grief around the upheaval that's putting me off really.

Sponsored Links
Two pipe will always be better and a dam sight easier to balance.
If you remove a rad on a one pipe system there is no need to bridge it If it is one pipe its already there.

Yes, I wondered if it would be OK just to put stop ends on the feed and flow pipes that I would have cut

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back