2 radiators in small living room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

We currently have one radiator in our small Victorian front living room. Room dimensions: 3.81 cm x 3.39 cm.
The previous owner had a new radiator installed which is positioned on the back wall.
The radiator should in theory be adequate for the room but heat doesn't seem to spread and it gets colder by the bay windows opposite wall.
Below the bay window the wall is only about 30-40 cm high which may explain why they opted for putting the radiator on opposite wall.

My question: is it overkill to install an additional small radiator under the bay window for such a small room or are there other options?

Sponsored Links
Should in theory be adequate? whos theory, have you done the required calcs? In any case if you feel some discomfort by all means put another one by the window as longs as you have thermostatic valves it will do no harm.

I would always want a radiator under the window.
SOme people argue that "the heat goes out of the window" - just don't put curtains over it.

Hot air rises, goes across the ceiling, cools and falls down the opposite wall (with the window, if...), and you get cold feet, nasty.

Can be tricky if you have a tight 3-sided bay, but even one in the middle does help, though 2 is better and can fit better.
A 30cm high double convector is quite noticeable output.

Bay windows can be really really hard to heat, does the window have a typical reduced height ceiling. ? If it does then heat penetration into the bay will be poor, the convection current of the heated air column will fall down the the edge of the room and carry on back to the radiator, the flow will miss out the bay. You will also feel a cold draught as the cold air from the window will be added to the return air flow as it is divorced from the warm air coming down from the ceiling..

pop in a rad..basically

Sponsored Links
Should in theory be adequate? whos theory, have you done the required calcs? In any case if you feel some discomfort by all means put another one by the window as longs as you have thermostatic valves it will do no harm.
That theory would be mine:). I am by no means an expert but did some rough calculations based on what I read. There's obviously an air vent under the floor by the bay window which probably contributes to the issue

I would always want a radiator under the window.
SOme people argue that "the heat goes out of the window" - just don't put curtains over it.

Hot air rises, goes across the ceiling, cools and falls down the opposite wall (with the window, if...), and you get cold feet, nasty.

Can be tricky if you have a tight 3-sided bay, but even one in the middle does help, though 2 is better and can fit better.
A 30cm high double convector is quite noticeable output.
Thanks. I was thinking of keeping the one by the wall and then put another 30 cm double convector as you mentioned.

Bay windows can be really really hard to heat, does the window have a typical reduced height ceiling. ? If it does then heat penetration into the bay will be poor, the convection current of the heated air column will fall down the the edge of the room and carry on back to the radiator, the flow will miss out the bay. You will also feel a cold draught as the cold air from the window will be added to the return air flow as it is divorced from the warm air coming down from the ceiling..

pop in a rad..basically
Thanks for info. The bay doesn't have a reduced height ceiling but there's an air vent under the floorboards which may also contribute to the problem. Plus there's very little sunlight coming in. Even in summer it's a cool room.
Was thinking of putting the radiator up myself and get a plumber to connect it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back