Radiator placement in living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm installing new radiators and pipework before getting a corgi in to commisiion a new boiler.

Upstairs, the rooms are smallish and I'm putting a rad in each room under the windows.

Downstairs there's a large, long room 13.9m x 4.6m (45'x15') with all five windows in one of the long walls.

I'll be putting four radiators in this room. The radiator sites seem to be saying that where posible, radiators should be placed under windows for optimum convection.

Does anyone know if putting all four radiators on one wall (under the windows) is the best way to provide even heating? Or am I better with two radiators on each of the long walls?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you know what size rads you actually need or are you just guessing? It's a big room but I'd say two might do, one on each long wall at opposite ends.

Yes - done the calcs for each room. Using 1200mm x 600mm doubles (7083 BTU). Depending on the site you use for the calculation, this room needs from 2.9 to 5.3 rads of this size. (Lots of factors cause the wide variation. Windows are double glazed, but are small. Walls are solid random stone 550mm thick. Floors are concrete and are probably not insulated). I may fit the piping for to allow a fifth radiator to be added later if needed.

A number of sites indicate all the rads should be under the windows. But it seems counter-intuative to put them all on one wall. I'm wondering if anyone has put radiators in a similar shapped room and has any advice.

Sponsored Links
doormouse1
if its a living room you should put rads on coldest wall under windows if you prefer
if rads are on internal wall behind where you sit you will be in line of cold convection & will need to wrap your legs in winter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back