Opinions on Vertical Radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We are modernising my son's bedroom and one of the things we are doing is replacing and relocating the old radiator.

Due to the room layout it would be really useful if we could install a slim, vertical radiator to one side of the window rather than putting the new radiator back under the window (as it is currently). This would give us a lot more usable wall space and would make it easier to place beds and desks and things in the room.

a) Are vertical radiators ok? I'd heard that it is better to have a radiator under a window as the cold air from the window helps carry the heat into the room by convection or something? Does this mean that a vertical radiator (BTU values aside) will always do a poorer job of heating a room?

b) Are vertical radiators suitable for use in microbore installations (our sysytem is currently microbore)?

c) Some of the vertical rads we've seen are made from aluminium and I've read that they require a different inhibitor to normal rads. Does this mean all the rads in your system need to be aluminium? Or is it ok to have some aluminium, some normal?

Any quick opinions/thoughts would be most welcomed as Homebase has 10% off today and one of the radiators I'm eyeing up is their Venezia Radiator. :D

Cheers,

Andy.T

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

We are modernising my son's bedroom and one of the things we are doing is replacing and relocating the old radiator.

Due to the room layout it would be really useful if we could install a slim, vertical radiator to one side of the window rather than putting the new radiator back under the window (as it is currently). This would give us a lot more usable wall space and would make it easier to place beds and desks and things in the room.

a) Are vertical radiators ok? I'd heard that it is better to have a radiator under a window as the cold air from the window helps carry the heat into the room by convection or something? Does this mean that a vertical radiator (BTU values aside) will always do a poorer job of heating a room?

b) Are vertical radiators suitable for use in microbore installations (our sysytem is currently microbore)?

c) Some of the vertical rads we've seen are made from aluminium and I've read that they require a different inhibitor to normal rads. Does this mean all the rads in your system need to be aluminium? Or is it ok to have some aluminium, some normal?

Any quick opinions/thoughts would be most welcomed as Homebase has 10% off today and one of the radiators I'm eyeing up is their Venezia Radiator. :D

Cheers,

Andy.T

Knock yourself out, buy one they are sexy & you won`t have any probs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again, I was thinking of the compatability with microbore systems and the use of an inhibitor.

I've since read that there are "mixed metal" inhibitors available designed for systems with different types of rads so I guess that answers that? But a bit of reassurance on the microbore front would be lovely. :)

Thanks again, I was thinking of the compatability with microbore systems and the use of an inhibitor.

I've since read that there are "mixed metal" inhibitors available designed for systems with different types of rads so I guess that answers that? But a bit of reassurance on the microbore front would be lovely. :)

Ok to fit to microbore, would you like a big hug now :rolleyes:

Vertical rads are a fashion accessory but are less effective than horizontal rads.

Most of the convected heat ends up close to the ceiling. Assuming you do not glue yourself to the ceiling this is not good sense.

I don't have a problem with vertical rads other than it would be a mistake to assume they perform on a like for like basis as an equivalent sized horizontal.......they don't.

Thanks for that simond, all opinions are very welcome. I hear what you say about size but can they be compared on a like for like basis with conventional rads of the same BTU?

A tall vert rad will heat the air for longer so the air spilling out the top will be hotter (warmer!) than with a shorter more conventional rad. The effect is rather like that of a tall thin chimney being more effective than a wide short one; the air rises quicker and then more air is "sucked" in at the bottom etc etc. So they heat more effectively; but, the parcel of air coming out the top is smaller and closer to the ceiling than that spilling out the top of a shorter rad - which detracts a little from the overall performance. A previous poster suggested that the top of the room gets much warmer - entirely correct, though in my experience, the overall effect on the room is not noticeably different from a shorter rad of similar ballpark BTU. They look the biz too.

I prefer to put a rad under a window if I can, it does help prevent feeling th cold front that you get from windows, so even if your vertical was of the same output the temperature in the room would be less even.. Having said that there are some really nice vertical rads out there... Shame they are so blooming dear

i have rads mostly under windows at home...you have to be careful the heat dont all end up behind the curtain!!

Fitted 2 vertical rads from b and q the other week. looked good and cheapest i have found them (alright , unbranded c**p). the customer loves them...yes i admit they looked good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back