Is there any problem with changing this radiator to a vertical one?

I wish I could say it'll be fine but until it fitted and tried there is no way of knowing. The standard setup for radiators is using standard convection rads as that is the norm, so expectations of how the room heats up are based on them and how they work, they have a 90%/10% split between convection and radiation, columns work anything up to a 20%/80% split.

The Heat Loss calcs are the same as far as output is concerned and the rad would be sized accordingly but how it heats the room may not be suitable. I am fitting more and more flat panel and standard vertical K2 rads than columns.

softline-plan-vertical-1.png
Deco-Vertical-Concept-optimised-1-1.png
Vita-Compact-Vertical-1.png

Sponsored Links
I wish I could say it'll be fine but until it fitted and tried there is no way of knowing. The standard setup for radiators is using standard convection rads as that is the norm, so expectations of how the room heats up are based on them and how they work, they have a 90%/10% split between convection and radiation, columns work anything up to a 20%/80% split.

The Heat Loss calcs are the same as far as output is concerned and the rad would be sized accordingly but how it heats the room may not be suitable. I am fitting more and more flat panel and standard vertical K2 rads than columns.
the one I was looking at is Milano Alpha, sort of flat columns (double panelled) https://www.bestheating.com/milano-alpha-anthracite-vertical-designer-radiator-various-sizes-78651?

Had one exactly the same in my kitchen, albeit the space was a tad larger than where you want to put it and a lot more glass but it just wasn't any good at heating the room.
I wish I could be definitive as to whether it would be ok for your scenario or not but I can't I'm afraid, all I can say is that it might not be suitable or what you expect.

Hi, I’m looking at a similar vertical radiator and size as yours, did you end up having it installed and if so how well does it perform in terms of heating your room up?

Sponsored Links
I’ve tried a few calculators online and none of them come out over 4500 BTU. The average is 3500BTU. The vertical rad I’m looking at is spec’d at 4000BTU at T50, which is more output than most of the calculators suggest. My boiler is set at 65 but its probably less when it reaches the rads.
You have a 13m2 room, your calc at 4500btu (1319watts) = 101.5watts/m2, which matches a sort of rule of thumb of 100watts/m2, but if you are running at 65C flow temperature then the rad will only emit 77.6% of its T50 rating so you would need to increase the the output by a factor of 1.3 so require a 5850btu rad or a 5200 one based on 4000Byu.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back