2 Velux Windows on small kitchen extension roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking to install 2 SK06 114x118 Velux windows on the roof of my existing kitchen extension.

As shown in the photo, I will need to cut out 2 rafters for each window.

This will leave 2 rafters each end of the roof, and 2 in the middle. I am planning to double up each remaining rafter and double up the trimmers.

Does this sounds right or would this be too much weight for it to take? Rafters are 6x2s.

Thanks

Attachments

• Inked20180717_165204232_iOS_LI.jpg
    Inked20180717_165204232_iOS_LI.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 576
Sponsored Links
Yes, double up the rafters and the trims.

Also, looking into Velux window flashing kits. Having two close to one another, individual flashing kits might overlap so you can (I think) buy a double flashing kit. I would check that out first because this will give the spacing between each Velux and avoids having a skinny cut tile between them.

And, read the velux fitting brochure. Bottom trim is vertical, top trim is horizontal. This is to allow maximum light in. I find very few joiners who know and do this.

Easy to draw some lines where you would want them isnt it? Unfortunately this doesn't always work out. before you decide on sizes you need to check where the battens lay As the bottom of the windows should be set out the correct distance from the last batten that runs trough below. Or the flashings will play up.

If you look around you will no doubt see plenty of Velux and the like looking untidy with bits of lead hanging out etc.. It's usually because they are not positioned correctly.

I think if you were looking to maximise the light you should have raised that steel a few more courses.

Sponsored Links
Easy to draw some lines where you would want them isnt it? Unfortunately this doesn't always work out. before you decide on sizes you need to check where the battens lay As the bottom of the windows should be set out the correct distance from the last batten that runs trough below. Or the flashings will play up.

If you look around you will no doubt see plenty of Velux and the like looking untidy with bits of lead hanging out etc.. It's usually because they are not positioned correctly.

I'm not concerned about the battens. When the tiles are off we will sit the Velux correctly as you suggested. My draws and questions are based on the structure stability of the roof once I cut 4 rafters and replace with Velux windows. Thanks.

It won't be a problem if you work diligently and don't
cut any corners! lets face it there won't be many tiles
left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back