2 way light question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i walk into my kitchen there is a double light switch to control the main light and kitchen cabinets .....On the opposite side beside the back door is another single switch. The problem i have is that if the single switch at the back door is pressed it turns out the light but it cant be turned back on by the double switch .

The single has 3 points L1 L2 and COMM ........It has 4 red wires in the box but only 2 are connected L1 and COMM whilst 2 are hanging.....one is live and 1 is dead.........any ideas? ? ?

Sponsored Links
When i walk into my kitchen there is a double light switch to control the main light and kitchen cabinets .....On the opposite side beside the back door is another single switch. The problem i have is that if the single switch at the back door is pressed it turns out the light but it cant be turned back on by the double switch .

The single has 3 points L1 L2 and COMM ........It has 4 red wires in the box but only 2 are connected L1 and COMM whilst 2 are hanging.....one is live and 1 is dead.........any ideas? ? ?

I could make some wild guesses but without being there to make tests they could be wrong, so the only real idea is to call an electrician.

There really is only Plan A or Plan B:

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
PLAN C:
  • Start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why.
There is no Plan C.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back