2 way metal light switches and earth question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am in the process of buying some new black nickel light switches and plug sockets etc. For some reason the supplier I am getting them from only have 1G 2W light switches. Really only need 1W switches. Can 2W switches still be used as a 1W switch?

Also, regarding the earthing. Currently have white plastic switches with the earth wire going into the earth connector on the galvanised metal back box. I know metal switches need earthing so do I just remove the earth from the back box and insert this into the switch earth or insert a new earth wire from the switch to the back box (earth connector on back box will then have 2 earths)

TIA

Sponsored Links
yes two way switches can be used as one way switches. (jsut in the 2nd position they don't do anything)
Use Common + one of the other terminals

For metal back boxes, earth cable should run from wire to back box, then back box to switch if switch has earthing terminal. (in this case it will, so you will need an extra bit of cable earth + sleeving)

Thanks. Little bit confused by your statement "in the 2nd position they don't do anything". I thought 2 way switches were just like a normal switch (either off or on) but were for places like a hallway where the light can be turned on by the upstairs switch, then turned off with the downstairs switch.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
2 way switches swithc a common line between L1 and L2 (position A and Position B)
1 way switches switch a commone line between pos A and off

thus when using a 2 way switch as a 1 way, it switches between L1 (on) and L2 (off)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back