Metal Wall Sockets/Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. sorry.. but this is a very dumb question.. but I am quite new to this..

When installing a metal plate - I get the fact you have to earth it... but am not 100% sure how to do this.

The existing (plastic) switch & metal box - has an earth - the box is earthed...

So when I earth the metal switch... do I...

a) run an earth from the switch to the the metal box's earth (screw type thing?)
b) Do I split the earth using a connector thingy - and run one to the box and one to the switch?
c) or something else?

Also.. is there such a thing as a 1-way switch? when you jusy want the
switch to turn on one light? - as all i see are 2/3/4 gang 2 way switches???

All help muchos appreciated!

Best

Sponsored Links
your desciption is a bit vague but i think what your doing is changing a plastic light switch for a metal one.

if this is so...... then connect the earth from the twin and earth cable(s) (making sure it is sleeved with green/yellow sleeving) to the earth connection on the switch which should be marked.

also run a sleeved earth from this point to the back box earth terminal if it has one.

and yes you can get a switch that is simply on/off for one light.

hope this answers your question, any further problems then describe in a bit more detail or post a piccy

:LOL:

SunnyC said:
Also.. is there such a thing as a 1-way switch? when you jusy want the
switch to turn on one light? - as all i see are 2/3/4 gang 2 way switches???
you can use a 2 way switch as a 1 way (use com and L1).

generally you can get 1 gang 1 way switches but not higher number of gang 1 way switches. Its just not worth making them for the small number of switches where every gang is used as a 1 way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back