Replacing metal light switch with plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing a metal dimmer light switch for a plastic 10 amp single one way switch. The plastic switch does not have an earth terminal and nor does the metal wall box it sits in. What should I do with the existing earth wire?

Sponsored Links
Odd that a metal mounting box doesn't have an earth terminal. Can you show us a pic ?
You could of course swap it for one that does .

In the main with a plastic back box I would remove the sleeve, fold over the earth wire, and replace the sleeve, this means end is covered and sleeve less likely to fall off, but not seen a metal back box without an earth, as the screws as electrical connected to back box, unless caps over the screws, you still have metal parts you can touch, so I would remove and refit the fixing screw with earth wire trapped below it.

In the main with a plastic back box I would remove the sleeve, fold over the earth wire, and replace the sleeve, this means end is covered and sleeve less likely to fall off ...
What 'sleeve'?

If there is an unwanted earth conductor and no terminal for one in the metal backbox (as said, very unusual/strange, particularly for those who insist that the backbox should be 'earthed') then the normal approach would be to terminate it in a bit of connector block, or Wago etc., tucked safely away somewhere, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Does the back box have only 2 screw holes to fix the switch into or does it have a couple top and bottom too?
Something like this
1658259169588.png
that you could use?

If not I'd drill a small hole in the back of the metal box and use a self tapping screw and washer to create an earth terminal.

Thanks for your answers. The box only has screw holes at each side to screw the face plate to so I'll add a screw and washer and connect the earth wire to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back