Replacing Plastic Light Swtich with Metal Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i am replacing two plastic light swtiches with two metal light switches.
The current plastic switches are fitted/wired as follows:
A red wire from the cable (live) connected to the '1way' point and a black wire from the cable (i presume to a switched live- no red tape) connected to 'common' point. There is an earth wire screwed into a point on the back box from the cable. The plastic switches also have a '2way' point next to the '1way' point but there are no wires screwed to it.

The metal switches (VOLEX) have three points plus one for an earth. The 3 points are L1 (top), L2 (bottom right) & L3 (bottom left).

I would like to know to which 'L' points on the metal switches do the live and switched live wires go respectively.
Also, regarding the earth wire, do i have to connect a wire from the earth point on the switch to the earth point on the back box or do i simply unscrew the earth that is screwed to the back box and screw it to the metal swtich plate.
Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored Links
see the for reference it shows you how, as for the earth yes, you must put in another earth wre fro the switch terminal to the one in the back box

if one of the backbox lugs is fixed then you can just connect the earth to the faceplate

though many sparkys still reccomend putting in the link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back