Caste Metal Light Switch

The requirement was all sleeves to be brown but old cable colours were permitted.
So a red/black was ok for L&N but brown sleeve on black for SL.

Sponsored Links
... So a red/black was ok for L&N but brown sleeve on black for SL.
Yes, but presumably with the L still red. That's what seems odd (mixed conventions in the same cable) and what I thought might well not be allowed.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Sorry I was typing when yours came in.
But in places which had not been altered the red sleeve remained and a silly situation arose (and we refused point blank to change it) where in a 2g switch, we converted one to 2 way so the new harmonised cable and the existing black were sleeved brown but the remaining (unaltered) switch was identical but black sleeved with red.

We refused to change it as doing so would have meant we had to take responsibility for the circuit.

Yes, but presumably with the L still red. That's what seems odd (mixed conventions in the same cable) and what I thought might well not be allowed.

Kind Regards, John
Yes it felt totally wrong and counter-intuitive. The regs were trawled by others further up the chain (not me) and apparently is reads 'sleeve with brown'

I thought Red was still a recognised colour for live, so although odd, Red and Brown is ok, though as said id mark both Brown.

Like in Pre wired emergency Rock roses with Harmonised flex, they use Brown and Black cores as two lives and a Blue Neutral, no attempt is made to mark the Black as Brown as Black is a recognised Live colour nowadays.

I thought Red was still a recognised colour for live, so although odd, Red and Brown is ok, though as said id mark both Brown.

Like in Pre wired emergency Rock roses with Harmonised flex, they use Brown and Black cores as two lives and a Blue Neutral, no attempt is made to mark the Black as Brown as Black is a recognised Live colour nowadays.
And for exactly that reason I don't understand that people mark black and grey cores with brown sleeve.

I suppose that depends upon what you mean by "recognised". It is still accepted as identifying Line (or Line 1 in 3-phase) in 'old colours' (or mixed-colours) installations, but it is not recognised as identifying anything in terms of Harmonised Colours .

That fortunately means that there can be no ambiguity, since red must relate to old colours - so I suppose it is not actually a 'problem'. It's black which is, at least theoretically, more of a potential 'danger', since there is ambiguity - without context, it could mean 'neutral' in old colours or L2 in harmonised ones.

Kind Regards, John

And for exactly that reason I don't understand that people mark black and grey cores with brown sleeve.
Well, black means L2 (in harmonised colours) and grey means L3, so if they are actually carrying 'L1' current, I suppose it's appropriate to identify it accordingly (i.e. brown).

It's not really an issue in a single-phase installation, but I suppose it could be in a 'mixed' (3-phase and 1-phase) scenario.

Kind Regards, John

Well, black means L2 (in harmonised colours) and grey means L3, so if they are actually carrying 'L1' current, I suppose it's appropriate to identify it accordingly (i.e. brown).

It's not really an issue in a single-phase installation, but I suppose it could be in a 'mixed' (3-phase and 1-phase) scenario.

Kind Regards, John
So tongue in cheek question, should we sleeve black for a 2way circuit on L2 in a 3ph system?
I remember when it was common practice wiring 1ph circuits in white, yellow or blue in 3ph installations and even SWA was available like it.

So tongue in cheek question, should we sleeve black for a 2way circuit on L2 in a 3ph system?
Interesting question :). I suppose the sensible answer probably should be 'yes' - albeit only of importantce when one has single phase circuits in a 3-phase installation.

Kind Regards, John

The sleeving question came up on another electrical forum the majority sleeve as below:
upload_2017-12-24_11-25-33.jpeg

A wall light I fitted a few months ago:
upload_2017-12-24_11-30-18.jpeg

I would never mix new sleeving on old cables.
For a single phase circuit connected to a 3 phase supply, the line conductors should be brown. It used to be common for single phase line conductors to be the phase colour when wiring in conduit and trunking but apparently no version of the regulations permits this. It does look cool though...

The sleeving question came up on another electrical forum the majority sleeve as below: ...
That's certainly how I would do it. Like you, I would never mix new and old colours on the same cable.
For a single phase circuit connected to a 3 phase supply, the line conductors should be brown. It used to be common for single phase line conductors to be the phase colour when wiring in conduit and trunking but apparently no version of the regulations permits this. It does look cool though...
That seems to be how things are now done. However, if (I imagine very unusually) a cable carries line conductors for single phase circuits on two different phases, it would seem sensible (and 'safer') to identify them with the appropriate (brown, black or grey) phase colours.

Kind Regards, John

I'm reminded of the instance when we were pre-purposing a 30A switch fuse in a mains room (fed off the busbar) which used to feed a 3ph compressor for something else, there was no neutral provided as the compressor being a true three phase load did not require one, but we now needed one. The installation was from the 70s, so Red, Yellow, Blue conductors in use. I supoose installing black for a neutral in 2016 wasn't strictly in accordance with 7671, but a using blue would have been insane!, can't even remember if I bothered to declare it as a deviation or not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back