Light switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my plastic light switches with chrome ones. The back boxes are also plastic and there is no earth wire present, however the instructions for the new metal light switch state they must be earthed. The plastic back box has no fitting for an earth connection. Do I need to replace the plastic back box with a metal one?

Sponsored Links
lasutd said:
I am replacing my plastic light switches with chrome ones. The back boxes are also plastic and there is no earth wire present, however the instructions for the new metal light switch state they must be earthed. The plastic back box has no fitting for an earth connection. Do I need to replace the plastic back box with a metal one?
These do need to be earthed, although they can be safely fitted to a plastic (unearthed) backbox).

Are you sure there's no earth wire present? Have a close look at the cable coming into the backbox, to make absolutely sure that it's not there but cut short.

Unfortunately, properties wired over about 30 years ago often had no earth connection in the lighting circuits, and these must be used with plastic, double-insulated accessories - a real pain if you want to use metal switches or light fittings :(

Good luck,
Nick[/b]

if you do find an earth cut back don't use it without testing it. if someones cut it back in one place they may have cut it back in others too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back