Lights and earths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replacing our old plastic light switches and socket face plates with conductives ones. I have checked and all the light switches have Earths and all but one have metal back boxes. What is the correct procedure to make sure both the back boxes and fronts are earthed?

I will replace the plastic light switch back box with a metal one.

Sponsored Links
Cut a few 150mm lengths of Green&Yellow sheathed in size 1.5mm or greater. You can probably buy stranded 2.5mm G&Y by the metre locally.

Link this between the earth terminal in the backbox and the one on the switch faceplate. You can use your left over ones on the sockets.

Sponsored Links
I think it's a surface mounted one, not sunk :LOL:

Or I suppose it might be one of those that snap into plasterboard drywall.

Sorry

Its a sunk one in a proper brick wall but its plastic so I was goint to replace it with a metal one and fit a metal switch.

Is it a box like this?

MTMDLB5.JPG

If so there is no need to replace the box, just connect the earth direct to the switch plate.

Con - I think what everyone is getting at is that there is no need to replace your plastic back boxes with metal ones.

Thanks for the info people.

That just leaves one question do es the earth then just connect to the face plate?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back