changing metal to plastic, no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm replacing metal light switch covers with plastic ones - the back boxes are still metal, and there is no grounding thingy on the new plastic covers. What do I do with the earthing wires inside the metal back box? Do they still need to be connected to the new plastic covers?

Sponsored Links
There should be a terminal on the metal backbox to connect them to, if its missing I suppose you could use a self tapping screw in the back of the box

Thanks! But I don't understand... the earthing wires are connected to the back box, but there is no place on my new plastic switch covers to connect them. Some guides say that if using a metal back box, the earthing wires should always be connected to the cover - some say a plastic cover doesn't need to be connected. help?

a plastic cover doesn't need to be connected to earth becuase its not conductive, a metal one is conductive and does need earthing, eitherway the backbox needs earthing (unless nylon scews are used), if a metal switch is used, this is earthed and this earths the backbox through the screws (belt and braces approach would be to fit a wire link as well), if cover is plastic, you just connect the earths to the backbox

Sponsored Links
Great, thanks again. So about the existing green/yellow grounding wire hanging out fo the box (was attached to the old metal cover until 2 hours ago) - do I cover the end with tape and leave it in the back of the box?

Sorry - I don't usually do DIY!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back