200kg Stove - Tilt into a Berlingo?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Not sure which bit of the forum, if any, is the right place to ask - but here goes......

I need to get a 200KG stove from Glasgow to Devon, where i am. The problem is that it isn't on a pallet.

I have found a man/van team that can get it on a pallet for a freight-team to collect, but they aren't very interested in strapping/wrapping/checking all the bits are there.

I am therefore wondering about going up myself in a rented van. Do you think something weighing 200KG 62w x 73d x 136h could be "tilted" from a sack truck into a Berlingo-type van? Or does it need a Luton with a tail-lift?

Any (helpful!) comments massively appreciated!

Crawf

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Not sure which bit of the forum, if any, is the right place to ask - but here goes......

I need to get a 200KG stove from Glasgow to Devon, where i am. The problem is that it isn't on a pallet.

I have found a man/van team that can get it on a pallet for a freight-team to collect, but they aren't very interested in strapping/wrapping/checking all the bits are there.

I am therefore wondering about going up myself in a rented van. Do you think something weighing 200KG 62w x 73d x 136h could be "tilted" from a sack truck into a Berlingo-type van? Or does it need a Luton with a tail-lift?

Any (helpful!) comments massively appreciated!

Crawf

Yes, it can be done, but I doubt if its possible with one person.

I cant see a sack trolley helping though.

My guess would be to stand it on end, reverse van up, 1 person either side and lean it back. Once resting on van, left end up and slide in.
The tricky bit is when tilting it over, once youve got beyong balancing point, there is no going back and you need to be sure the weight wont be too much to avoid injury or dropping it.

Alternatively, you could make a timber ramp, assemble on site with cordless drill and slide it up. You might need to lay on a 'tray' to avoid scratches...tray being sheet of ply with 4 x 2 screwed round, overhanging each side as handles.

If I was doing it, I would make a plywood or mdf base for the van, and a timber edge to form a lip. Covering with a blanket to avoid scratches.

A bit of preparation will get you a safe solution.

Sponsored Links
I have lifted large objects by adding blocks of wood under each side at a time until level with the table / van
A bottle jack from Halfords is £20.

Making a pallet or getting a free one would help kick things off
Having a mate for company and muscle also good

Couple of bodies around it will lift it in. You're going to struggle on your own even with aids.

If I was doing it, I would make a plywood or mdf base for the van, and a timber edge to form a lip. Covering with a blanket to avoid scratches.

I'd do it out of thin sheet steel which will help you move it. Metal on metal slides. Metal on wood gives you nothing but a bad back.

If you can lay your hands on a number of pallets, say 8 or 9, and 2 sheets of plywood the same size as the pallets you can 'step walk' it in with a bit of help.

Place 1 sheet of ply on a pallet and walk the stove on to it, (this is where the helpful friend comes in handy). place 2 stacked pallets hard up against this first one and place the second piece of ply on it. Walk the stove on to this set. Remove the first piece of ply and put 2 more pallets on the original one, ply on top and walk back across. Carry on until correct height has been reached then carefully reverse the van as close as possible. Walk stove into van, pick up the 'stairs' and drive back home where you repeat the operation in reverse.

Sponsored Links
Back