20yr old Mira415 surface mounted shower leaking from control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mira 114 shower which I have had for 20 years has been leaking fom the control dial for a while now. It is surface mounted and the leak is coming from the bottom of the control dial and runs down the flexible shower hose, I originally thought it was the hose because of this. Is this fixable? I know its 20 years old but its been a great shower and I'm not sure if I would get one as powerful as this one so I'm hoping I can get it mended?

Sponsored Links
Should I already have a service kit because I don't have one? If I have to buy one would I still be able to get one for this as its 20 years old? Its strange that they name new models 415 aswell.

Where would I get a kit from and is it an easy job?

Should I already have a service kit because I don't have one?
what do you mean you don't have one ?
If I have to buy one would I still be able to get one for this as its 20 years old? Its strange that they name new models 415 aswell.

this shower was first madfe around 1984 onwards
but they all use the same service kit.
Where would I get a kit from and is it an easy job?

retail about £10 to £15
you'll have to strip the shower down to replace all the seals

try george at the showerdoc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
I meant I wasn't sure if I should already have one that came with the shower when it was first bought.

I'm not sure if I can do this myself or if I might need certain tools that I may not have but I will check on the showerdoc site. I did look up a george on there but there seems to be only 1 that has only made 3 posts and they were for trinitron showers so its prpbably not the rigjht person but I will ask about the procedure there anyway butat least it seems like it will be fixable anyway which is good.

Does this kit fix shower head leaks too? as there is a small leak there too so may as well get that done at the same time

Thanks,
I meant I wasn't sure if I should already have one that came with the shower when it was first bought.
the only one you'll have with a new shower is the one thats leaking now.
I'm not sure if I can do this myself or if I might need certain tools that I may not have but I will check on the showerdoc site. I did look up a george on there but there seems to be only 1 that has only made 3 posts and they were for trinitron showers so its prpbably not the rigjht person but I will ask about the procedure there anyway butat least it seems like it will be fixable anyway which is good.

his user name is showerdoc, but is real name is george who owns it.
its only basic tools but handy if you've done it before and know
what to expect.
its always poss that the age of the shower has other worn parts
that need replacing sometimes the casings pit and the seals won't
stop the leak.

Thankyou,

If it does end up the casings pit can that be replaced too?

Are the newer ones as powerful as my old one?

Tried to put this on showerdoc forum but as I havent had a reply back yet and now have the water turned off (which was a struggle) I really wanted to try and fix it now so hoping I might get some advice here if possible

I have the service kit now and I'm preparing to try and fit it but before I do I wanted to check if there is anything I might need or should be aware of before starting? There are no instructions just diagrams.

Firstly this is a surface mounted 415 model, one part of the pack which there are 2 of them is starred and says * not fitted to models manufactured before 2001 but I'm not sure if mine will be a before or after 2001 untill I take it to pieces. What isnt clear is even if it turns out to be an older model can this part be fitted to it now? They are the biggest parts in the pack, white plastic parts with silver mesh type thing with a red washer on each. They go into the sides of the central dial they are named as cx2 on my diagram but I dont think they are labled the same on a diagram I found on showerdoc, not sure why. Can anyone tell me if these can be fitted now or not?

Also the liquid sachet in the service pack where and when do I need to use that please as it doesnt say? The diagram also doesnt explain how to take the side bits off(think inlet elbow assembly) or any of it or will this become obvious once I start? Andwill I need anything other than screwdrivers?

I just don't want to start trying to take it to pieces then find I get in a mess. Are the parts likely to be easy to take to pieces and put back again and if not can I use wd40??

Edit

Just wanted to say that I have taken off front cap and unscrewed the control knob which is so rusty its crumbling and I had to get it out with a pair of tweezers to remove it in the end but now I cannot seem to get the control knob off, is there a knack to this or do I have a problem?

The shower is kind of upside down too as its over a bath so the inlet pipes come from below not above the shower control

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back