Shower - surface mount or recessed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the plumbers round today to sort out my shower leak following combi-boiler installation.

It turned out the pipes were leaking into the wall.

I currently have a recessed shower unit. The plumber has disconnected the shower to stop the leak in the short term. I am hoping this has stopped it... will find out in a few days lol.

The question he put to me is, if I want the shower unit, I have 2 options:

1) buy the body part of the aqualisa shower and replace
2) buy a new surface mounted shower

I have been reassured that either options should involve no leak.

On Friday I paid for a new cartridge to be installed.

My question is, apart from the appearance, which is better... recessed or surface mounted?

Sponsored Links
You kind of answered your own question!

If a surface mounted shower leakes it will leak into the shower tray.

If the concealed shower leaks youll prob need a plasterer as well as a plumber.

Fitting a new concealed shower will be more costly as tiles will prob need removing and replacing unless there is access behind. But they look neater :D

You kind of answered your own question!

If a surface mounted shower leakes it will leak into the shower tray.

If the concealed shower leaks youll prob need a plasterer as well as a plumber.

Fitting a new concealed shower will be more costly as tiles will prob need removing and replacing. But they look neater :D

its not a shower as such, just the shower head thing over a bath jobbie...

the unit i have is recessed at the moment and the leak has caused it to saturate the wall.

the plumber said to get the surface mounted will involve removing 2 tiles and replacing.

So it's the pipe from the mixer to a wall outlet.
If you keep the current mixer you will still have pipe and connections in the wall.

A new cartridge for a shower you may be replacing?

Sponsored Links
So it's the pipe from the mixer to a wall outlet.
If you keep the current mixer you will still have pipe and connections in the wall.

A new cartridge for a shower you may be replacing?

The plumber replaced the cartridge last Friday as there was a leak from the front of the control unit.

I wouldn't have a recessed shower.

With the new modern fixing plates, you can whisk off and replace a faulty surface mixer in minutes.

with a recessed you probably have to smash out tiles and dig out the wall.

If you happen to have a false wall with an access panel behind (not wallpapered) I might consider it.

yes, showers always go wrong, eventually, and have to be taken out.

I wouldn't have a recessed shower.

With the new modern fixing plates, you can whisk off and replace a faulty surface mixer in minutes.

with a recessed you probably have to smash out tiles and dig out the wall.

If you happen to have a false wall with an access panel behind (not wallpapered) I might consider it.

yes, showers always go wrong, eventually, and have to be taken out.

That was why I am considering it. I don't really want to end up having true wall dug out in the future... Any recommendations on a shower surface mounted lol. I know absolutely nothing about what I should be looking for!

I like Aqualisa. but they are not exactly cheap.

Bar mixers are usually cheaper than round ones, in both senses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back