240v to 110v does such an adaptor exist ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok so slighlty misleading title
long story short we do a halloween event in our village for the kids in which we open the garden with lights &props and such things while most things are battery operated or std 240v we import a few items from the USA

i need to run a couple of 3w led lamps that have a US plug soldered and the manual clearly states max 125v rather than buying a converter for each lamp does a multi socket exist that will take one uk 240v and give me a couple of 110 outlets that does not cost the earth

or the fact the draw is so small could i splice the two looms together and run of a std 40w uk to usa adaptor

i know its a strange question

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Now I am no sparks, but perhaps wired in series they would make 250v, perhaps one of the guys on here can say if I am speaking out of somewhere other than the normal orifice!:oops:
I would be interested to know if it would work.
Please don't try it just on my say so though! I don't want your life on my conscience!:eek:

Plenty of 240>100 transformers about in various sizes, some with multiple outlets. Lots of places sell them.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I.../USA_110volt_Convertor_Transformer/index.html

Sounds like this is a public event though so whatever you use, it has to be properly tested, certified, risk assessed, installed in accordance with BS7909, etc. etc. otherwise your public liability insurance for the event may become invalid. In other words, don't go buying some cheap non approved transformer from some unknown Ebay seller in the far east and expect it to be safe for use at a kids party.

Sponsored Links
The LED lamps will have some sort of switch mode power current controller to provide a controlled current through the LED element(s). This will have been designed for a 120 volt 60 Hz sine wave AC supply. While they may work on the 120 volt AC from a switch mode voltage convertor this cannot be garanteed as the output from cheap convertors is seldom a true sine wave but instead at best is a stepped sine wave form and at worsr a simple square wave.

A true transformer is your best ( most reliable ) option. Either a small 230 to 115 volt transformer or ( as it is a very low load ) a transformer like

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...Toroidal-Transformer-50VA-0-12V-0-12V-88-3795

wired as an auto-transformer.

auto-transformer.jpg

This is NOT an approved use of a transformer but does provide a low cost way to achieve a 115 volt supply from a 230 volt supply.

The VA rating of the transfromer should be at least 4 times the VA ( wattage ) of the load on the 115 volt.
The four secondary wire must not be connected to anything nor to each other.

Bernard you're absolutely right from a technical standpoint and that is something I'd be quite happy with doing for my own home use.

The OP appears to be describing a "village event" however, and in those circumstances I would think that a complete off the shelf, approved unit would save more in terms of risk assessment than the solution you propose would save in terms of cost. In these days of blame & claim it is becoming very difficult to get home made electrical equipment approved for any kind of public use :(

As noted already, the cheapest low-power converters available are not simple transformers, give an output which is often more squarewave than sinewave (and even then often not a clean squarewave) and can be of dubious quality and safety.

It will cost a little more, but I'd invest in a decent cased transformer which might come in useful for slightly heavier loads in the future as well:

http://www.newmarket-transformers.co.uk/110v-transformers.asp

I wonder if a bathroom shaver socket transformer would do.

sorry for my late reply

just to clarify a few points

these lamps are not available in the uk or europe at all

and all though i say village event its mainly for our pleasure but in turn we do get a lot of trick or treaters (the whole point really) its not something that i advertise as you must come and see it purely for our pleasure

all the heavy current draw stuff is and will always be 240v
ive just opened the packs the lamps came in and it states the following

material = pc
light sourcing = 1w led*3
rating = 120VAC 60hz 0.055a 4.3w

i am aware single converters are available but ideally as these lamps are going pretty much side by side (the create a flame effect to give the impression what ever they illuminate is on fire ) hence i wanted to see if i could source a device that allowed 1uk plug >2 us outlets or splice the two and run a single converter

thanks for the replies so far i will now study the links provided

One day then hire a transformer from any tool hire place. Will cost around £11 a day.

With standard tungsten bulbs yes could wire is series but LED lamps need a current regulated supply if that was done with a simple resistor yes it would still work but if there is some switch mode regulator then then likely it will not work.

Years ago I retrieved the step up auto transformers from 110 volt fluorescent lamps but today they are also switch mode. As
bernardgreen says any transformer designed for either 120 or 240 volt could be used as an auto transformer, but although I would not be worried transforming up I would about transforming down any fault and you have 230 where you expect 120 volts. //www.diynot.com/diy/members/bernardgreen.41166/

One day then hire a transformer from any tool hire place. Will cost around £11 a day.

With standard tungsten bulbs yes could wire is series but LED lamps need a current regulated supply if that was done with a simple resistor yes it would still work but if there is some switch mode regulator then then likely it will not work.

Years ago I retrieved the step up auto transformers from 110 volt fluorescent lamps but today they are also switch mode. As
bernardgreen says any transformer designed for either 120 or 240 volt could be used as an auto transformer, but although I would not be worried transforming up I would about transforming down any fault and you have 230 where you expect 120 volts.

sorry i am being a bit thick so what am i asking for in a hire shop because all i can envisage that is 110v is one of those big yellow things you see on buidling sites
what ever it is i am hiring i am guessing it will come with 3 pin plugs but 110 v so i just need to get 3>2 pin adaptors

excuse my noobish

i am timber man by trade

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back