24i and lukewarm radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 24i junior boiler feeding 1 towel radiator, 3 upstairs radiators and 4 downstairs radiators.

Problem is the rads are only lukewarm, mainly downstairs.

The flow pipe from the boiler is extremely hot as is the flow pipe to each radiator, but the return is only lukewarm.

Would I be correct in assuming that would rule out a boiler problem?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
A filter may have been fitted on primary return boiler connection and on an uncleaned system will block easily effecting flow.

David

There is a filter on the return pipe to the boiler.

Do I have to turn the water off and drain the system to remove it, or is there a simpler way?

Monkeyboy73 said:
There is a filter on the return pipe to the boiler.

Do I have to turn the water off and drain the system to remove it, or is there a simpler way?

Depends which side of the boiler isolation valves the filter is on. If it's inside the boiler isolate the valves to the heating and drain the boiler, if outside isolate the valves, bleed all the rads, then turn them all off (and as an extra precaution shut the lockshields upstairs too). The when you open the pipework to the filter you should only lose half a pint or so.

Sponsored Links
I have got round to removing the filter and found that it was clean.

I have also spent ages balancing the system but still find the rads downstairs are still cold.

Any other suggestions?

I have noticed that the burner light comes on for about 30 seconds and then turns off for a couple of minutes and then back on for 30 seconds and so on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back