28mm speedfit in coil, I guess not? but you can get hep20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
used 22mm in a coil, which is a pain to thread through holes without help from another person, even when you leave it to warm up slightly

I guess this is the reason I can't seem to find 28mm JG in a coil, say of 25m or 50m - because it would be a nightmare to use?

I notice that hep20 do a roll though, any ideas why you can get 28mm hep20 and not 28mm JG?

of course, I might be wrong - so if you want to prove me wrong send me a link to 28mm JG in a coil ;)

Sponsored Links
I guess this is the reason I can't seem to find 28mm JG in a coil, say of 25m or 50m - because it would be a nightmare to use?

I notice that hep20 do a roll though, any ideas why you can get 28mm hep20 and not 28mm JG?

You have just answered your own question, "it would be a nightmare to use" Speedfit pipe is generally PE-X (they have started selling PB at a premium price) all Hep2o pipe is made from PB (Polybutelyne) which is far more flexible, a large number of plumbers do not use 22mm coils of Speedfit but use straight lengths and couplers, sort of defeats the "Flexible Plumbing" theory.
Once you have used PB pipe you will wonder why did I bother with PE-X

I won't ask if I can mix and match JG and hep20, the internet has just answered that question (it's "no, don't do it buddy" if you didn't know, not that surprising)

I need to fix a mistake I made in the past, that of not using 28mm for feed and return from boiler. I can still change this without too much drama (apart from what I say in the last sentence below).

I have considered copper but I've drilled the joists. drilling out those holes to make them larger enough for 28mm should be hours of fun :(

You will need to use copper off the boiler (check boiler installation instructions) having a mix of copper and plastic isn't a problem you can mix different makes of plastic on a system.

If you need to change from Speedfit to Hep2o you can do it via a compression fitting (don't forget the inserts and don't use jointing paste) that way the warranties with both Speedfit and Hep2o will be valid,

Don't try and use a plastic Pushfit coupler and mixing inserts.

Sponsored Links
thanks; yes just over 1m from boiler is already in 22mm copper. I suppose 28mm would have been better (it's a 40CDi boiler, I know :( )

I had thought of compression fittings between the two types of plastic, I've used this with the existing 22mm JG at joints, with inserts.

I've used endless speedfit over the past years, never had a single problem with any joint. but time will tell I suppose with the o-rings. but I won't open that debate again....oops...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back