3/4" Thread taps in WC / Utility Room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm putting in a new sink and taps into a downstairs cloakroom / utility room. The sink is a reclaimed baby belfast, and I want some old taps to match. I've found some NOS pegler taps at a good price, but they have 3/4" thread.

Is this ok to connect to 15mm pipe? Will the flow rate be a LOT more than 1/2" thread? Any other potential problem in using these?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
No ,flow won't be any different.
Will the 3/4 tail fit through the hole in the sink ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. And yes, we'll be having a piece of wood between the sink and wall and the taps will be fitted to that.

So, aside form the different thread size, there's no other difference or potential problems?

Cheers

Just an Aside
Are the NOS Pegler OLD washer low pressure taps , what supplies you hot /cold water
Cold at mains pressure will be OK - BUT hot from a tank with high pressure tapscan be an issue depending on the setup
I cannot find the NOS Pegler listed
I suspect its all OK if old washer style taps - But thought i would mention in case

No ,flow won't be any different.

Flow rate will be determined by the 15mm pipe anyway

I was just thinking about this... If the flow rate is no different between 1/2" and 3/4" taps, then why are bath taps always the larger size? Is it because they are usually fed by larger pipes? If not, why aren't they all the same?

Sorry if I'm missing something blindingly obvious!

You have answered your own question . Historically , bath taps were fed from gravity fed plumbing systems ( a lot still are), so larger diameter pipes to baths . That allowed greater flow with the limited pressure. Obviously taps would need to be larger so as not to impede that flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back