3 gang 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im trying to replace my wall switch in the hall all i can tell you is the switch powers a light outside a hall light and a stair light there is another switch upstairs which turns the light of but its the 3 way i want to replace there is 6 red wires 2 yellow and one blue and the back of the new switch as com l1 l2 ect could you please tell me which wires go where thanks ps im a bit in the dark

Sponsored Links
OK, easy question first.
Before removing the old switch, did you make a note of which wires went to which terminal. A photo would be good. If you did then its easy to advise you.
If you didnt then we've got a lot of work ahead of us!

PS, I like that "a bit in the dark". A deliberate pun, I guess :LOL:

in my head i did but when i came to do it i put the wires back nothing sorry
should i get a cup of tea on

You probably need help on site from a spark then. I'm off to bed soon.

How many cables are coming into the switch and what are the colours in each cable. (ignore the earth wires).?

Sponsored Links
ill try and sort out a picture i think i can remember where the wires were on the old switch thanks night

do us a favour and take the upstairs light switch off and tell us what wires are in there.. my guess is that there is a red, yellow and blue... and nothing else...

you're missing a blue by the sounds of it too...

you'll have 2 twin reds, and 2 3Core and earth cables..

the 2 twin reds are 2 switch cables for the outside and hall light, and the 3 core with the blue cut out is the switch wire for the stairs light..

one red of each twin red goes to Com of 2 switches ( ie 1 red to 1 com, 1 red to other.. ), with the other red going to the L1 of the corresponding switch..

this sorts the outside and hall light, with the only problem being switch placement ( might not be on the "right" switch as before.. ), just swap them round if not "right"..

now the 2 3Core and earths.. the one with all 3 wires should go...

Red - L1
Yellow - L2
Blue - Com..

with the red and yellow from the other 3Core and Earth going to the terminals with the same coloured wire in them.. ( please check what wires go where on the upstairs switch and correct this order as needed ).

of course, without photo's or actually being there this is only a best guess, it's very hard to diagnose from words alone..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back