3 gang 2 way dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a dimmer switch to control the hall landing and outside light, I have taken off the old 3 gang switch and it is completely different set up to new l1 l2 com
Also I only have 2 sets of wires both 1 red 1 blue 1 yellow so i presume the outside light is connected to the hall ceiling rose.

How do i connect this to a 3 gang 2 way dimmer so i can have the landing light 2 way but hall and outside seperate switches??

Diagrams would help

Thanks

Sponsored Links
More info needed. Presumably all three switches on the old plate worked? At a guess you've got a two way conenction to the landing light, and a one-way to each of the hall and outside using the other three-wire set, but you've omitted to mention a live link between the COMs on the old switches.

PJ

More info needed. Presumably all three switches on the old plate worked? At a guess you've got a two way conenction to the landing light, and a one-way to each of the hall and outside using the other three-wire set, but you've omitted to mention a live link between the COMs on the old switches.

PJ

yes sorry it is one way for hall and outside and 2 way to landing, it did have a live link wire but its all a's and B's and not L1 L2 on old one so do not know how to transfer than info to new socket prefixes

Sponsored Links
No diagram or instructions with the dimmer?

No markings on the terminals except A, B etc?

BTW - you are aware of the annoying way that dimmers work in a 2-way arrangement, e.g. if you turn the landing light on with the landing switch and the brightness is wrong you'll have to go downstairs to turn the knob?

No diagram or instructions with the dimmer?

No markings on the terminals except A, B etc?

BTW - you are aware of the annoying way that dimmers work in a 2-way arrangement, e.g. if you turn the landing light on with the landing switch and the brightness is wrong you'll have to go downstairs to turn the knob?

Yes I have side lights upstairs aswell so no stumbling in the dark

if you turn the landing light on with the landing switch and the brightness is wrong you'll have to go downstairs to turn the knob?

And if the dimmer was turned down, end up tumbling a**e over elbow down the stairs.

Putting dimmers on staircase lighting is a pretty dim idea.

Unless you use a master and slave dimmer which is dimmable from both ends of a 2 way circuit......

Yes I have side lights upstairs aswell
sidelightafter02.jpg

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back